New boat launched!

Posted by J.Schott on Jul 5, 2005

I went to N.C. this weekend to paddle with a friend who owns a ch17lt. I took both the new boat and my ch17 with the plan to paddle the new boat and then practice rescues and attempting rolling in the 17. We paddled at our usual spot and ended up putting about 10 miles on the "new boat". I call it the "new boat" for the lack of any other term. I was calling it a modified ch17lt, but after seeing it next to one, it doesn't seem right anymore. It looks nothing like one even though I used the 17lt's plans. Anyway, I love it! Tracks straight, turns easily and has good secondary stability. We paddled into some very remote areas of the lake and felt a bit nervous because it is a bit tippy and the places we went would be a messy re-entry. We put a little wear on the keels by skimming over some very shallow water and submerged trees. It was all worth it when we reached the end of the lake/marsh. I stopped and looked around, we were surrounded by yellow flowers as far as we could see. I wish I had my camera. When we got back to the launch site it was time for rescue practice. I chose to use the new boat, which was not the smartest thing I have done. The seat is not attached and the deck is not rigged yet. Imagine a paddle float re-entry without the deck bungees, pretty amusing! I attempted the "cowboy" re-entry but ended up swamping the cockpit. Gotta loose some weight... soon! After some unsucessful rolls and sucessful rescues we called it a day. The sun had a positive affect on the onlay by darkening it a bit. It gave it more of a "wine" color than the red that it was stained. I've gotta get some varnish on it before it goes too far. I'm going to atempt to post a pic, if it does not work I'll post a link to photobucket.-Joey

Photos from "Schott Skunkworks"

Replies: