Hull Panel Scarfing FUBAR

Posted by Bill Cabeceiras on May 9, 2004

This is for an LT17 if that makes a difference.

Prior to gluing and clamping, I had the scarfs aligned, and everything looked to be in great shape. It seems that when I clamped them down after gluing there was some slippage at the joints. On the bottom panel at the largest scarf I have a shift of almost a quarter inch up and down. Side to side it stayed fine.

The side panel is another completely different problem. This is in reference to the small piece at the stern. For some reason this piece is actually not even connected wood to wood now....it is raised at one end. Now, this is the panel that was on the bottom when I glued both sections together as one so they would stay symetrical. Since the top one came out virtually perfect, I can't figure out where I went wrong with this bottom piece. I checked and double checked everything after gluing and securing it all down. I placed plastic between the individual panels as per the directions, and taped the edges of the scarfs, and I used 2x4's and screwed them down to my table for clamping. I also used brads 2 feet from scarfs to secure the panels and to keep them symetrical.

Is any of this fixable? Should I break out the kerosene and clear the fire pit now? I'm beginning to think this is beyond my limited skills.

If replies could be directed to my email address I would appreciate it. [email protected]

Thanks, Bill

Replies: