Re: Pix of above problem

Posted by Peter Lyons on May 9, 2004

I'll post again the same thing I e-mailed:

Hi Bill-

I had some clamping and scarfing problems of my own. Join the club! ;-)

For the first situation; the one where the pieces are not together, I'd suggest getting them apart, sanding the excess epoxy out of the joint, and re-gluing it. Is there something I don't see that would preclude doing that? You might have success using a fine saw like a Japanese saw or a hacksaw. For a small scarf like that one, if you have a heat gun, that MIGHT be enough to soften the epoxy sufficiently that you could just pull it apart. Just be careful not to scorch the wood.

As to the other, I'm going to stick with my earlier advice as one option -

"The main thing is that the boat needs to be symmetrical. You might try laying one side panel on top of the other to see what you've got. Perhaps they can both be modified so as to match, without really messing much with the shape of the boat."

But maybe that's not the best option... if the joint could be softened enough with a heat gun, it's possible you could get the joint apart and have a second shot at it. I'd suggest posting a question about heat guns used in this way on the forum. You could also search the forum for old threads on the subject. I've never tried it myself, but have heard of heat guns being used in this way.

You could also just cut the panel apart again and re-cut scarfs on both. This will shorten the panel by an inch and a half overall (and would require similar work on the bottom panels), but that's pretty insignificant, really.

And of course, there's always the option of calling CLC about getting replacement parts. You could even just buy a sheet of okoume and cut your own. A sheet of 4mm okoume, if you can get it locally, will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $40. I'm not sure where you live. It's harder to find in some places than others.

So, really, you have several options the way I see it. At the moment, if I were in your shoes, I'd be pursuing the heat gun possibility first.

Peter

In Response to: Pix of above problem by Bill Cabeceiras on May 9, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.