Re: Hull Panel Scarfing F

Posted by Peter Lyons on May 9, 2004

Bill -

I'd be happy to offer what I can in the way of help with your scarfing problem.

I'll post here on the forum and will also e-mail you this message. Someone on the forum may post with reasons to disagree or modify my advice - and that's a good thing. That's part of what makes the forum so valuable.

But first of all, I'm a little unclear just what your problem looks like. Can you clarify for me what you meant by:

:>On the bottom panel at the largest scarf I have a shift of almost a quarter inch up and down. >For some reason this piece is actually not even connected wood to wood now....it is raised at one end.<<

Just in the way of a generic suggestion, let's talk about those side panels for a minute. The main thing is that the boat needs to be symmetrical. You might try laying one side panel on top of the other to see what you've got. Perhaps they can both be modified so as to match, without really messing much with the shape of the boat. Once you start fitting bulkheads you'll see just how much play there is in hull shape using the S&G building method without frames. And speaking for myself, when I built my MC 16.5 from blueprints, I had significant gaps between panels in places. Epoxy filled those. I reshaped all four hanging knees substantially, and accomodated what seemed to be a good two inches of "extra" sheer and bilge panel at both ends of the boat. What I'm trying to say is just that this building technique does not require extreme precision. There's plenty of room for adjusting, tweaking, and compensating for screw-ups. Don't sweat this too much. You'll have it taken care of in short order.

Peter

In Response to: Hull Panel Scarfing FUBAR by Bill Cabeceiras on May 9, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.