Re: Hull Panel Scarfing F

Posted by Steve Miller on May 9, 2004

The suggestions already received are great. It looks like you used clear or mostly clear un-filled epoxy to do your joints. Or am I seeing things. The joints should be brushed with unthickened epoxy so it soaks into the wood then apply your mustard or mayonaise thick epoxy thickened with wood flour or cabosil. Either that or you moved your scarf joints way too early. Did the epoxy set hard? If so then you mixed it ok. Just thinking out loud.

As you have learned now epoxy covered joints are very slippery. I do one joint at a time as Chip suggests. I carefully position the pieces and clamp them to the workbench. Then I use some small nails to nail each panel to the bench near the scarf joint. I set my nails back on the panel with the upper overlap about 12 - 14" or so. Just far enough so that I could lift the end of the panel to apply epoxy. You only need to be able to lift it about 2". Nail near the edges of the panels so the holes will be in line with the stitch holes later. The nails on the other (bottom) panel can be pretty close to the joint. I use two sets of nails and clamp the far ends. Of course you tape the joints off before nailing. Once secured this way the joints can not move, period. Lift the upper panel, brush your glue in, wait a bit, smear on some thickened goo and weight down. I use a block of wood and a box of rocks or gallons of paint. It does not take that much weight.

In my picture you can see that a big bench allows you to do two scarfs at once. No stacking.

Good luck.

http://www.hevanet.com/kg7pv/Millcreek/image03.jpg

In Response to: Re: Hull Panel Scarfing F by Chip Veres on May 9, 2004

Replies: