Eastport Pram mast step design

I am building my first boat, the Eastport Pram, from a kit. The side supports for the mast step are angled to follow the rake of the bottom panel and to keep the top piece of the mast step level, perpendicular to the mast. When the mast is in position only the bow edge of the mast contacts the bottom of the boat. I understand the Eastport Pram is a tried and true design but is there a better design? Should I add support pieces to the mast step or the bottom panel such that the bottom of the mast sits square on a support piece? Should the bottom of the mast be cut at an angle to sit flush on the bottom panel? Or should I just build it as designed.  I would appreciate advice from more experienced builders.

Bob

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Eastport Pram mast step design

I haven't built this boat, but it seems reasonable that the base of the mast could be cut at an angle to present a more full-contact surface with the bottom of the mast step - that would be easy.  Or you could put in a shim glued to the hull to level out the mast step base, maybe just a little more work.  And again, th boats seem to have been doing fine without worrying over this. 

Just FYI, on my NE Dory, which by desing presents pretty much a 90 degree/flat base for the mast to rest on, I threw in a square of firm rubber sheet about 1/8 inch thick in the bottom of the mast step. In hopes of preventing any sand gradually grinding its way through the finish on the bottom of the mast or base of the step.  Seems to be working fine after 8 years.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.