Cutting 1-2 degree angles on ceder strips

I'm building a Mill Creek 16.5 with a stripped deck and I'm at the point where I need to cut some strips into super-skinny wedge shapes in order to keep the next batch of strips parallel when the bow and stern strips meet on the sides after I've stripped out the open cockpit. After carefully drawing a diagonal line on a strip about 2 feet long, I cut along that line with my band saw, which didn't yeild the most precise edge. I left enough "fat" on the wood so I was able to clean it up with a plane but that was time consuming.

Anyone know a way to cut think strips on a long diagonal with some form of jig? I'm thinking of making a long sled for my table saw but I'd love to find some tips first!

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Cutting 1-2 degree angles on ceder strips

hi dnregen, 

saw your note and do not really have a trick/technique to offer along the lines you are thinking.

what i will say is, i have built a lot of strip build boats ....and the work with the block plane has gotten significantly faster over time compared to my first effort.

if you look at video's of nick schade working, he doesn't even use a saw....but just scribes a line and between a knife (to take large slices off) and a plane to finish the piece, he makes pretty quick work of it.

so my technique now is pretty close to what nick does but i use a japanese saw to cut along my scribed line and then finish with a low angle plane.

so it seems we are all taking a variation of the theme...something that can take the initial chuncks off efficiently to get close to the line....and then finish it up with a plane.  but do let us know if you figure some new approach.

h

I agree with hspira's comments above.  I also use Nick's technique of cutting the strip "fat" with a razor knife then planing down to the line.  From my perspective, a saw is not nearly precise enough for this kind of work, where 1/4 mm is important to a good fit. 

Another good tip from Nick is to clue two strips together so they are easier to hold.  In the picture below, I was going to have one very tiny sliver of a whiskey (rum) strip.  Instead, I glued two strips together before I started shaping the strip.  

The process Mark was talking about that Nick uses is about 8 minutes into this link......... https://youtu.be/YDvfAD7cy9g .... Nick normally uses a pocket knife. The wood thing he was first using is a tool he developed look for explination on his web site. I just plane the strip. Aruthor-Itus doesn't want me to hold knives. And as Nick says the band saw is a lot of steps away. You could use the band saw if you wanted just remember measure twice, cut proud and sand/plane true.

"....  long diagonal with some form of jig  "

The problem with that is that due to the angles on the boat. Those angles will be compound angles that change as the length progresses. Then as well each strip will likley be different than the last strip. 

Yes, it is time consuming. But if you wanted it faster and easier  then you would have used  S/G plywood. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.