Skerry gudgeons

Long story short, I began work on my Skerry in 2016, but had to lay the project aside for a few years.  I picked it back up this fall.  Unfortunately, I seem to have goofed - only after I epoxied in the seats did I realize that the upper installation holes for the gudgeon are below the seat line. 

What is the best way to fix this?  Do I have to remove the seats?  Did I install the seat incorrectly?

Thank you for any help you can give. 

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry gudgeons

I think you don't have to remove the backseat. 

1: try to stick one or more pieces of wood through the inspection port (= deckplate) and glue them where the screws of the top gudgeon go. or:
2: Pre drill oversized holes for the top gudeon screws. Try to get pieces of wood through it and glue those on the inside. Fill the holes with epoxy, then drill the holes for the regular sized screws.

3: Or from the outside: Pre drill oversized holes for the top gudeon screws. Use a lot of very thick epoxy (instead of pieces of wood), push it in through the holes,  fill the holes with epoxy and pre-drill normally for the screws.

Ruud

RE: Skerry gudgeons

Different boat but same problem.  Even after the build, you will find the inspection ports very handy.  You can get a ditty bad that fits into the round Beckson ports which is a great location to store a cell phone, or maybe the boat's registration.  I used the CLC (kayak) Flush Hatch Kit to ake the square hatch.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.