New Trailex SUT-220-S assembly problem

I've just finished my Annapolis Wherry...Hooray!! and I am assembling a Trailex SUT-220-S trailer for it which I purchased through CLC.  I have received really good feed back from this forum before on this, my first build, and for that I am grateful!  Thanks all!

Perhaps someone has put one of these 220-S units together recently and can help me out.

Unfortunately I have found that the inside front to back length of the box frame for the trailer is 31.5" vs. the 29" with the required 1.5" extension of the side rail past the rear cross member.

Perhaps this model is a slightly modified design from that in the instructions with a larger length box frame than when the instructions were written. The main central rear tongue was marked for the locations of the frame cross members, so the longer side rails appear correct. I noted this all on assembly. However, it appears now after placing the axle and leaf springs that the rear shackles are not vertical enough to work effectively (they must lean too far forward to strech the additional 1.5") and so just appear they will fold forward under weight. I have not flipped the trailer over yet to confirm.

My only solution, if my assumptions are correct, is to dissemble many things and then slide the rear shakle holders forward 1.5 " on the side rails which makes them now flush with the side rails rather than extending 1.5" past (perhaps this is why the frame side rails are longer now). 

As "Zen and the Art of Motocycle Maintenance" is one of my favorite books...I understand a bit of the "Art" of assembly instructions... but perhaps someone can help me become more enlightened on this assembly journey. I don't need "The Path" just "A Path" forward will do fine.

I have a call into Trailex, but so far nothing back.

Thanks again!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: New Trailex SUT-220-S assembly problem

Hmmm... my 220-S kit arrived two weeks ago, bought to put wheels under my Waterlust canoe once it's ready (few weeks yet!) for launching.

Good thread, I'll be watching carefully!

(Had a first edition of Zen back in the early '70's, enjoyed it immensly! Got loaned to a friend then 'reincarnated' when his house burned down. Lost another amusing tome I'd loaned him at the same time, an early '50's edition of Modern Motorcycle Maintenance. Covered all kinds of interesting rides like Indian, Ariel, BSA, Enfield, Norton, Triumph....)

RE: New Trailex SUT-220-S assembly problem

I figured it out my self (perhaps Phaedrus would be pleased) but had to think laterally and unbolt the back of the frame and shift everything rearward 1.5 " to get the properly 29" distance between the front and read frame cross members for the leaf springs to fit properly. When I tried to simply readjust by shifting the two bolts in the rear spring brackets (there are 3 holes) the rear leaf bushing mounts would not clear a hidden bolt coming up from below.  Whatever marked lines they had on the center tongue were not correct for this application. On to the boat cradles and wiring, etc. I'm using it for my newly done Annapolis Wherry. Good luck with your!

Too bad about the lost books. Especially the 50's edition of "Modern Motorcycle Maintenance"!   What a classic! My first two wheeler in H.S. was of all things a 1962 Lambretta Scooter, bought from the Montgomery Wards Catalogue for about $400. My Dad and I picked it up at the local store and it was in a large crate. One of my two buddies at the time had a BSA 650 Gold Star twin and the other an all black AJS Model 31 650.  Needless to say we didn't do much riding together except to school.

Since then I've had a few bikes including a beautiful 1975 BMW 750 I bought new and on which I put Euro bars, etc. As it aged (well I think) I decided to trade my "Aging Frauline" in for an "Italian Supermodel". Being older now and wanting to keep shaft drive and have something a little unusual I bought a new 2014 MotoGuzzi Norge GT. Double the HP and runs on unleaded and a great windscreen and fairing!

Cheers!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.