WD12 hybrid plywood cockpit apron

What do I do where the cedar slats meet the plywood apron - do the slats just butt up against the apron, or does the apron lay on the strips?

When the strips encounter the plywood apron that will support the cockpit coaming, do I rabbet the strips to allow the apron to "sit" on the strips, so the plywood is level with the top of the strips? Or just cut the ends of the strip ends to match the plywood curve and then sand the strips down level?

I think rabbeting the strips would provide a strong bond. Suggestions?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD12 hybrid plywood cockpit apron

Hi Redlima,

Interesting question!   I simply butted my strips against the edge of the apron trying to align the top surfaces, and then sanded to smooth out the joint.  Once glassed, epoxied and varnished the strips just "flow" into the apron.  BTW strength of this joint has never been an issue after two seasons of use.

I'm interested to see what other builders post on your question.  I can see the merit of a rabbet joint.  My initial thoughts though are that you wouldn't have enough hieght in your strips to pull this off though unless you are using unusually thick material.  The other concern I'd have is the complexity of pulling this off.  The junction around the perimeter of the apron is always changing in relation to the way in which the strips meet the edge, so every strip would be a different rabbet.  I still consider myself a rookie builder/wood worker, so maybe this is easier than I think.  Again, interested in what more experience builders have to say.

Dave

Just butt them up to the plywood. I ran a thin fillet around the joint on the inside before glassing it. Once the glass is on the outside as well it's a really strong joint. 

George K

Thanks for the input. I will butt the slats up to the apron and fillet the inside.  Appreciate it. Cheers.

I rounded the edge of the apron to form a "bead" and then corrrespondingly formed a "cove" on each strip using a small round file.  The strips then smoothly fit and tightly locked into the apron.

It takes a little more time, but was fairly theraputic fun time in my garage and the results turned out great.

Mike

"Ah, I see," said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and saw.  <;-)

Those pictures might be worth a few thousand words.

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.