Epoxy adhesion problems

Hello all,

I am getting pretty frustrated by the apparently simple task of aplying epoxy to the parts of my PMD. Especially on the second coat, there are spots where the epoxy does not adhere to the wood. I am following the same process each time, carefully preparing the surface, and sometimes it lays down fine. But I get this issue about 50% of the time. Here is the process I use to prepare the surface

1. Sand previous coating until there are no shiny spots
  2. Vaccum dust off the pieces
  3. Wipe down with denatured alocohol
  4. Dust off spots of sanded epoxy residue with a microfiber cloth

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zozl9eebc1fw5q2/2020-05-02%2012.08.16.jpg?dl=0

Any advice is truly appreciated.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Epoxy adhesion problems

I'd switch steps 3 & 4. Wet-wiping should come last before next coat's applied.

Be Very Careful what you use to do the wet-wipe with too! Common paper towels aren't all created equal, and microfiber cloths easily absorbe things that can later cause contamination problems.

I started out using mf cloths & denatured alcohol but have switched to plain water instead, and the cloths I use are Brand New when used just once, then washed & dried by themselves before being re-used. NO FABRIC SOFTENER either in that wash, or dryer sheets in the drier! Those will both cause issues with contamination.

Thanks spclark, I will try those suggestions. Appreciate your help.

i would elminate step 4.   i sand, vacume, wipe down with denatured alcohol....after that, anything else you do is a potential contamination source.

for me, i use plain white paper towel for my denatured alcohol wipe down.

the most i would do after that is vacume again to just pick up any last bit of dust if i waited a long time after the wipe down.

h

Thank you hspira, I appreciate your help. This forum seems to be filled with really helpful folks. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.