Development Project Updates?

Just wondering if John (or anybody at CLC) could provide the general public with some updates on all the boats under development. I know I’m not alone in waiting for some of them to be available in kit form and even a ballpark idea of how close you are would be wonderful. Obviously they won’t be ready until they’re ready but maybe we could have a status update of sorts?

13 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Development Project Updates?

Yes, I'm really overdue to post updates on the CLC designs listed as "Development Projects." Some of the boats there are completed and no longer "in development," but all of them are on that page because either A) We don't plan to create the usual lavishly-illustrated assembly manual, or B) They are WAITING for us to finish a lavishly-illustrated assembly manual.

I've stopped saying that we need to "write" manuals, because that implies that someone just needs to open up a word processor and create prose. (And results in scores of emails from well-meaning volunteers that begin with "I used to do technical writing at my old job, so maybe I could help...")

In fact, 95% of the work in the current generation of manuals is creating and laying out illustrations. Because everyone would rather look at pictures than read text!  For example, here's what CLC manuals looked like 20 years ago:

And here's what they look like now:

Nice artwork takes lots of time and skill. 

----------------------

Anyway, here are updates on the 11 boats currently in the Development Project bin:

Lighthouse Tender Peapod: As of August 2019, almost ready to start shipping as kits or plans. Just in the final throes of assembly manual work.

----------------------

Tenderly XP:  This is a decked-in version of the stock Tenderly, with a tall sloop rig and a pivoting centerboard. It's a barrel of monkeys to sail, but it needs time and money to finish as a kit offering. I've been hoping to find an organization that will build a fleet of them as junior trainers, which would help with the development cost. The Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle has expressed interest. At the moment we do not have a release date.

----------------------

Autumn Leaves Canoe Yawl: This is a finished project and has been available as plans or a kit for a couple of years. I know of four of them actively under construction. One of those is sailing, and another is nearly complete. Because you work from a traditional set of blueprints rather than a big spiral-bound assembly manual, we keep this one in the "Development Projects" file. You'll need to be able to read plans, and to have built a boat or two before taking on an Autumn Leaves project.

----------------------

Nesting Expedition Dinghy: Same story as "Autumn Leaves." A completely finished design, and they're getting built. You just have to settle for a nice set of plans and a photo outline of construction rather than a big printed manual.  

----------------------

Whitby Pilot Gig: A REALLY cool boat, and they're starting to get built in some numbers. The prototype, built in the UK, has been winning just about every race it enters. You can order a very nice kit from us, but as far as assembly goes there are only blueprints to follow. At least for now. We're pondering building one this winter in order to take photos for an instruction manual.

----------------------

CLC Runabout: A live project, but waiting for...you guessed it...an instruction manual! We do not have a release date.

----------------------

The Guider: The prototype has been as thoroughly field-tested as any boat we've ever designed. It will be coming out as a kit or as plans. Soon, I hope. When, exactly? When the instruction manual is done. Which will be soon.

----------------------

Outrigger Junior: One of my favorite designs of recent years. Where do I start with the Outrigger Junior? I've gotten HUNDREDS of emails from folks who want to build one. Many have wondered, not unreasonably, if something is wrong with the design that would stop us from rolling out such a strenuously tested and demonstrably refined kit. Given that the first prototypes were sailing in December 2013, what the hell is taking so long? Short answer: Time and money.

Long answer: Well, we tried a "soft launch" of the Outrigger Junior by completing a really beautiful and detailed set of drawings. We sent kits and a set of the plans to selected skilled builders, for construction feedback. The kits went together great and those who have built Outrigger Juniors (perhaps 7 or 8 at this point) all love the boat. The problem? Even the experienced builders told us that they wanted a step-by-step assembly manual. A really detailed manual, in fact, was the impression I got from the questions and feedback.

So...broken record, here...just waiting to assemble a great instruction manual from the hundreds of photos and drawings we've compiled. A 400-hour+ project for us. And the CLC staffers who put manuals together don't make minimum wage.

Which brings me to another challenge for the Outrigger Junior: It is going to be an EXPENSIVE kit. $5000-$6000+. Now, I know from correspondents that this is not a deterrent for everybody. (Really, name ANY 15-knot sailboat you can purchase new for $6000!) But it definitely means we'll sell fewer of them. Which means a long period of amortization to recover the high cost of finishing the manual. It keeps getting put off, but the Outrigger Junior will DEFINITELY make it to the finish line. If only because we've invested so much already.

----------------------

NanoShip 2.0: A beautiful boat. A delightful, sparkling sailing machine. One of my personal all-time faves. And...sorry, you can't have one. As I explained here, NanoShip was simply too complex and costly in kit form. We'd definitely have sold some kits on the strength of the prototype's performance, but we'd never have broken even on the product development expense. (Once again, 90% of development cost is creating a nice assembly manual and documentation from a tabula rasa.) There will be a NanoShip 3.0. It will have similar capability but will be twice as quick and easy to build. And as of August 2019, THAT NanoShip is still just a whole bunch of drawings.

----------------------

Skerry Raid: A completed design. You can get a kit (or even plans, if you ask nicely enough), but you'll have to be content with the standard Skerry's manual, plus a brief addendum specific to the Skerry Raid. Still, loads of these have been built. Probably 30 of them at least. The Guider is kind of what I thought the Skerry Raid SHOULD have been, but the Skerry Raid may stay in the catalog because the Guider is going to cost three times more in kit form.

----------------------

Waterlust Canoe: A very complete, fun, and available kit. Lost count of how many have been built at this point. Rather than allow this design to get bottlenecked in assembly manual hell, we decided to create a smaller, less-detailed manual. Everyone has seemed pretty happy with this, but that feature probably tends to filter out beginner boatbuilders.

----------------------

Well, that's all we'll talk about for the moment. Loads of fun projects in the pipeline beyond this collection, so stay tuned!

John,

Thanks for the fantastic updates!

Can I ask what you would have in mind for the organization that would build this fleet of Tenderly XPs? 

Thanks,
Patrick
Saint Paul, MN

Really John??

You’ve somehow managed to have “... Lost count of how many have been built at this point.”

I’m certain there are records for how many kits you’ve shipped, there has to be!

Yet I count myself as maybe being alone in having achieved the longest period between delivery and actual commencement of the building process.

But I may not be alone....

I’m closer now to that moment than when my kit arrived 2-1/2 years ago.

So I often ponder that info, how many of these unique craft you’ve shipped kits for.

Well at least the Nano Ship didn't die at a young age. Good to hear. 

>>You’ve somehow managed to have “... Lost count of how many have been built at this point.”
>>>>>>

I know EXACTLY how many kits we've shipped. But as for the number actually BUILT, as in finished and sailing, with photographic proof thereof...beats me. :)

>>>Can I ask what you would have in mind for the organization that would build this fleet of Tenderly XPs? 
>>>

As in, a bulk purchase of 5-6 kits or more, likely to become a training fleet at a camp or a school. The Tenderly XP is the perfect size and shape for a trainer. Two or three kids, or an adult-kid duo.

(The Tenderly XP can readily accept the stock Tenderly's single lug sail, if you're looking for a single-sail trainer rather than a sloop.)

We can even put your organization's logo on the sail!

Tenderly XP

John,

I find it very exciting to see a picture of Autumn Leaves on the water. What an awesome looking little ship. Now that one is sailing I have a few long pent up questions about her. How efficient is the standing facing forward rowing station? I am one of many Tracker Junkies and daydreamers about the R2AK, and Autumn Leaves is on the short list of dream boats for this race. Being able to efficiently move a boat by human power is a biggie for this race.  My other question has to do with the relatively flat bottom of this little beauty. How would she handle a very rough sea? John I trust your skills as a marine engineer. I’m the one lacking in understanding….that’s why I ask!

One more thing before I go, the one boat I don’t see on your list. Joy Springs, I know you said in your article that you would not continue with this design unless someone commissioned you to do so. I guess I have to assume this hasn’t happened? If I ever win the lottery, you can expect a call.

I'm both gladdened and saddened by this update.  I've had my eye on the NanoShip for years, but I think I'll move on to a Welsford Navigator at this point.  I've also loved the Tenderly XP, but I can't see myself building a smaller boat.  I fell in love with the Peapod immediately, but not sure about a small double ender for stability at my age.  Regardless, thanks for the update!  P.S.  I also have technical writing experience...

Seriously though, if I did want to stick with a CLC design for my next build and have already built two of your boats, so pretty familiar with the build process, what would it take besides $ to get a set of plans for a boat that doesn't have a manual yet?

See you in Port Townsend!

Skully,

See John stand. See Travis with his butt in the air. See the other John sitting on the rail. The Peapod is very nicely stable, regardless of the crew's age. If it's not the boat for you, I can respect that, but don't have any worries about its stability.

Laszlo

From what I've read about peapods as a type (see John's description of the Lighthouse Tender for his references to Howard Chapelle), they are meant to be stable enough to work lobster pots, so I'm going to agree with Laszlo assessment.  As a type, they have fairly flat floors, especially amidships, fairly firm bliges, and fairly full ends for a double-ender, all of which speaks to good load carrying ability for the length and good stability.  Looking at the drawings on the Lighthouse Tender page, it would seem that John has her looking very true-to-type.  That photo with three adult men in her under oars shows three full stakes still showing above water, which might tell us all we need to know about about her stability and load-carrying ability.

The shape is a tricky business to achieve in plywood, I imagine, but John is a genius that way.  Heck, I wanted one the minute I stumbled onto photos of the prototypes being built, before I even knew that John meant to offer it as a kit.  If I had room for a trailer boat in my garage, I'd have trouble holdin' myself back.

.....Michael

CLC's Guru John posted -

"But as for the number actually BUILT, as in finished and sailing, with photographic proof thereof...beats me. :)" 

Yeah... I've been looking in all this time to see other Waterlust kit buyers / builders be more active participants in the Forum here, showing at least their final results (once achieved) if not an occasional progress report.

I'd made my earlier post hoping to entice you John into mentioning what news you might have received irrespective of the Forum.

Myself I've learned of three kits having been completed, two builders posting mention of their completed craft here.

...and on this note: any update on the release of the Kaholo Nui? I'm guessing a new/updated manual isn't necessary?

Thanks!

Patrick

John H, any update on when Lighthouse Tender Peapod plans and manual are likely to be available? Thanks.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.