fitting breast hook on peeler skiff

Hello fellow builders.

I am at the point of fitting the breast hook on my Peeler skiff. When I did the fillets at the bow stem, I made them very heavy remembering the lines in the manual--think of your kids ramming the dock. I have two choices to fit the breast hook. One, contour the point of the breast hook to fit the thick fillet or Two, cut the fillet to fit the point of the breast hook. I am leaning toward contouring the point of the breast hook. Any suggestions welcome!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: fitting breast hook on peeler skiff

I had a similar problem when, following the manual, I installed the stiffener on the transoms of my EP after the hull had been glued together with fillets.  I had to remove wood from the stiffeners so they would fit up flush against the fillet.  Note, in the PMD manual, you laminate the transoms and stiffeners prior to assembly.

Since it's the fillet that gives the joints strength, I would modify the wood parts to fit the location.  The shinto rasp is your best friend!

RE: fitting breast hook on peeler skiff

Thanks for the response. Leaving the fillet and contouring the point of the breasthook was what made sense to me for the same reason. The fillets are what make the joints strong. I think I could have handled this differently if I modified the assembly procedure and left room in the fillet at the top of the stem for the breasthook to rest in place. Once it would be filleted into place the overall strength would be similar, just look neater. Thanks again.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.