Eastport Pram skeg fiberglass and fillet installed

Since I have plans on remove the skeg screws from the inside which I was necessary glueing,  (I will use fillet in the inside screw holes. )  So for more strength,  I decided to fiberglass the the keel to the bottom panel over the fillet.   I know this may not be nessary but it will make me sleep better.  And much easier to repair,  if necessary,  since the screws are out.  I am also going to paint the bottom.   

As for the skids,  fillet on the edges should be good enough after the screws are removed.

NickL

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Eastport Pram skeg fiberglass and fillet installed

I contacted Wooden Boat Dan from the Hooked on Wooden Boats podcast.  He will be joining us.  For those of you that may not have experienced his podcast, Dan has done some great interviews with several prominent boat builders and designers, including a couple of interviews with John Harris while in PT over the years.

Oops, replied to wrong thread.  Sorry.

What I meant to say was that I have done the same thing with my PMD.  I laminated my skids out of 6mm plywood, to fit the shape of the bottom and they have large fillets all the way around.  I also am installing that "keel guard" stuff mentioned on the other thread.  The skeg has a large fillet, fiberglass all over, and also a stainless steel rubstrake installed.  The entire bottom is also covered in graphite epoxy.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.