Website idea!

Hello to John Harris and all the fine people at CLC! I have a suggestion for a fun improvement to your website. Another site I frequent uses this and it can be informative and fun.

https://www.zeemaps.com/

If CLC sets up one of these Zeemap portals, anyone who owns or is in the process of building a CLC beauty can enter their location and the type of boat they have. That way if like me, you are a new builder or just new to the CLC world. You can see at a glance if there is anyone in your neighborhood you can connect with to trade ideas, get help, go sailing, go fishing, generally have fun!

And as a necessary disclaimer.....no I have nothing to do with the Zeemap site. Just thought it was FUN!

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Website idea!

Mike,

Not a bad idea, but CLC already has a Builder's Club and way too few use it.

Regards,

Dick

Builders club? Only US inhabitants seems to be member, can't find members outside US. Searching is almost imposible.

Ruud 

The zeemaps seems a good idea.

Builders Club doesn't work for me (in the UK) as it doesn't recognise my postcode and I've no idea what a zip code is

I live in the US, and the Builders Club doesn't recognize my zip code!

Tony, postcode is same as zip code.

Postcode != "is same as zip code". There are "foreign" countries (Canada, Sweden, etc.) which have a different "zip code" system (e.g. four numbers or letter number letter etc.). In the Builder's Club no "foreign" code is accepted.

Apparently my 'Zip Code' or postcode here in Turkey is the same as Harrisville MI. I think I'm about 5380 miles from Harrisville MI but the greatest distance permitted is 3000 miles.  

Although I think something like Zeemaps is a good idea I suspect that  there aren't too many CLC boats builders near me. I also understand that CLC is a US based company and most of their customers and boat builders are going to be American. It can be mildly annoying when our US friends tell us about all the wonderful products they can get hold of but I've learned to live with it. If I remember correctly the Skerry bottom panel is made from 9mm plywood. Not here in Turkey it isn't! 9mm plywood is unavailable here. 

But I learnt a lot from fellow builders on the forum here and I'm very appreciative of the knowledge that is abundant here and freely passed on. Thanks everyone!

Coincidentally, I emailed CLC support about this a couple of weeks ago and was told the "database only accepts US zipcodes".

While I appreciate that an overhaul of the feature would be no small task, to my mind the biggest weakness of the Builder's Club is that it's pretty buried. Maybe more folks would use it if it was more visible, and that can be a simple fix.

Patrick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.