Yellow Carpenters Glue

Hello again, its just me with another off the wall question. I am seriously considering modifying the bow seat in my NE Dory. To do this I am going to change the Mast step and of course the seat itself. In all my furniture and cabinetry projects I have always used standard yellow carpenters glue. Is there any issues with using it for my Dory? I would give it a full 12 hours to completely cure before entombing it in Epoxy. I have no fears as far as strength of the bond. Just don't know if it would have any adverse reaction with the Epoxy.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Yellow Carpenters Glue

yellow carpenters glue is used in strip built construction for glueing all the strips together....and then it is encapsulated in epoxy for waterproofness.

so there is no incompatibilty.

i routinely epoxy over joints that have been joined with carpenters glue....again, this is pretty common in strip built kayak construction.

fwiw...i think its fine as long as the carpenter glue is in the joint...and you are not trying to put epoxy over the same surface.  usually when i epoxy over carpenters glue....you don't even see the carpenters glue...its in the joint...and the epoxy is on the surface of the structure.

h

Thats what I wanted to hear! Thanks!!   

On my EP, I successfully used Titebond II glue to laminate 1/4" plywood to make 1/2" thwarts prior to encapsulating in epoxy.

Wipe off the "weep" with damp cloth when clamping up. It will mess with you if you intend to stain the wood afterward.    

Wiping off the squeeze out when the glue is still liquid can be problematic depending on the wood you are using. If it is a nice tight grain like maple, this will work OK. If it is a more open grain like Oak you will just give yourself headaches by doing this. If you wipe the glue up it can drive the glue deep into the open grain and you will never get your stain to match over the glue joint. Much better to let the glue harden completely, then scrape off the squeeze out before sanding. Then before staining wipe down the item with your alcohol or mineral spirits. If there is still any glue on the surface you will see that the alcohol will not penetrate the same over the glue. The glue stands out like you lighted it up.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.