Anchor and Sailing Knot Questions

I just finished building my Passagemaker.  If anyone is on the fence about building a CLC kit, you should definately build one!  I am extremely impressed with the quality and completeness of the kit.  Now for my questions:

I am looking for an anchor.  Ideally I would like something that could be stored under the seats and fit through the 6" hatches.  I was looking at folding 3.3lb or 5lb anchors.  They are usually marketed for kayaks and PWCs.  Does anyone have experience with these?  Would either of these be sufficient for having lunch or taking a break from rowing in a current.  I will be rowing/sailing in the bays off Long Island, NY.  I wont be going in the ocean or camping overnight on my Passagemaker.

My second question is what knot should I use to lash the sails to the boom and spars?  I am using short lengths of 3/16 line.  I am new to sailing so the only knot I have learned so far is the bowline.

15 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Anchor and Sailing Knot Questions

If you are new to sailing, I would recommend getting a copy of Chapman's Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling.  My father gave me a copy when I was thirteen and it's gotten me all the way to seventy without serious mishap on the water.  It's continuously updated and covers rules and regulations, piloting and charts, and practical small boat handling (including knots).  Don't leave shore without reading it.

Cheers,

Dick

I have used a folding grapple anchor attached to a anchor line by a bowline knot for a similar sized boat.  A little chain would help it dig in. Figure a minimum 4 to 1 scope.

I don't know what kind of rig your sail has to suggest a knot. This link however, miight  be helpful once you figure out what kind of knot you're going to use............................. http://www.animatedknots.com/indexboating.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint

A US Sail and Power Squadron safe boating course would be a good idea too.

Square knots are a fine place to start, and I think that the rigging manual from CLC should show that.  The corners could use extra purchase so put a little bowline in the end and double back through it, back through the hole and hold it with some half hitches.

I've got an app called knots 3d that gives you an animated tutorial  of knots .as for anchors I reccomend a small bruce anchor if you can fit it

I would avoid the square knot. This is a knot that can easily be untied by pulling on the standing and running strands on the same side of the knot and the knot will change shaape and    into a straight line with a the other lit nk wraped around the line and can be easily slipped apart. It is bet used for reefing sails and tieing bandages becaus if the knot becomes very thight on can easily pull it apart. in a hurry I would use bowline or ohter bend designed for carrying loads like the anchor bent.

RE: Anchor

Anchor.............It's a dingy. In silty areas a  bleach bottle filled with sand will work.  (hoosier budget engineering)   It won't scar up the wood work either.  

Go ahead and use a square knot, but tame it with an overhand stopper knot to keep it from undoing. That way you have two easy to remember simple knots instead of a single complicated one.   

Have fun,

Laszlo

Laszlo, 

Absolutely right about knots for the anchor.  I was responding to his question about how to tie on the sail to the spars.  I've done it so far with square knots on the small lashings so that I can loosen them and adjust, because I haven't really got the lashing tension down right.  I could use surgeon's knots after I'm more sure or put little stoppers on like you said.  The corners definitely need more purchase so I usually use a looped end so I can double through it and get 2x purchase.  finishing that one up usually with half hitches.

On an anchor, I always use an anchor bend if I don't have a spliced eye and shackle. Always mouse the shackle pin too.

I did a test run of rigging the boat in the driveway today.  I should have mentioned in my initial post that I have the gunter sloop rig.  As suggested, I used a square knot.  I did notice that a couple of them had worked loose though.  I will try adding an overhand stopper knot.  I do like the idea of using something simple.  

Many people have suggested the Chapman's book so I plan to pick up a copy.  I've completed a safe boating course and I've been on PWCs and powerboats but I've never sailed.  I'm looking forward to the maiden voyage. 

Since you have never sailed, I strongly advise that you take some sailing lessons.  A few hours with a good sailer will teach you more than you will learn in years trying to teach yourself.   

BTW:  A square knot is also known as a reef knot for its nautical application.

The sailing lessons are a good idea.  I hope you'll have the good sense to always wear a life jacket (PFD) when out in an open boat.  It's cheap insurance.  On the water, when things go wrong, sometimes they go wrong very quickly.

Sawdust,

I was talking about the lashings for bending the sails onto the spars. The square (reef) knot with overhand stopper combination comes right from the NE Dory manual Appendix 2, A Balanced Lug Rig for the Northeaster Dory, available on-line as a PDF here. See page 21.

I treat anchors the same way you do.

Have fun,

Laszlo

I'm actually a sailing instructor embarking on building a PM.  While sailing lessons are a great idea, I can see where an independent type would want to take matters into their own hands.  Make sure to pick a safe, small, shallow body of water for messing about at first.

Second, I actually prefer The Annapolis Book of Seamanship to Chapmans.  That may be heresy, but there, I said it...

Grump wrote >>Anchor.............It's a dingy. In silty areas a  bleach bottle filled with sand will work.  (hoosier budget engineering)   It won't scar up the wood work either.  

I just remembered this video which shows a Jimmy Skiff using  a concrete block with some chain and other stuff for an anchor. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the setup in the video (it's got some problems), but it does seem to be working, at least in calm water.

Laszlo

In addition to what CaptainSkully says about learning to sail on your own, I'd suggest that you sail with the mainsail alone until you are very confident you know how to manage the boat. And never cleat your mainsheet. If you are in danger of capsizing, it's best to be sure that you can let go of the line and have the boat settle down. (That means that you have to also be sure the mainsheet can't get snagged on something when you do let it loose.)

With just your mainsail you'll still have plenty of boat speed and lots of fun on the water. Add the jib when you have a little experience and a crew.

You've got a great boat. Have a blast! 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.