Bandsaw ripping

Anyone have experience ripping strips with a bandsaw? I thought I remembered he discussion about this, but I can't find anything. I have a beefy enough bandsaw, but I'm unsure of the quality of strips and don't want to waste wood on an experiment if someone with experience would caution against it. Seems like a nice way to save some wood from the sawdust pile. 

Thanks,

Patrick 

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bandsaw ripping

met someone doing a strip canoe that used a bandsaw. they told me that it would be less waste. but made for extra work on faring the outside of the hull, due to the slight drift of the bandsaw blade.

Thanks for the feedback. It occurred to me that if you needed to plane down the strips or do extra faring to account for a wavy bandsaw line, you'd have eaten up any of the savings you made with a thinner kerf. I might just have to play with this a bit to see what kind of tolerances I'm dealing with  

Thanks,

Patrick

Anything that keep expensive western red cedar out of the sawdust pile is a good thing! Forest saw blades makes an ultra thin kerf blade at 5/64. Be careful when ripping strips, you’ll probably have to remove the riving knife from table saw to use a 5/64th blade.
The extra work of plaining bandsaw roughness eats up any savings. A couple of years ago Rockler had a super thin kerf blade but I can't find it now. Some folks have used thin kerf 71/4 circular saw blades in their table saw. They have a tendency to burn your wood a bit, that sands off easily while fairing the boat.

Let us know what you find out.

Great tip, thanks!

Set the upper roller guides near the work.  Use a fence. Be careful with the grain of the wood.  Straight boards rip better than curved, warped or split boards.    

i have done it with good success for for a low production set-up.

to make it work i built a jig that supported the blade immediately above and below the board i was ripping and also created a fence for the board.  

without that jig, the blade drifted too much.  i tried setting the uppoer rollers as close to the piece as possible....but found my jig much more effective at elminating blade drift.

my jig was made of wood with a pre-cut groove for the blade with just enough tolerance for the blade width and the wood being ripped.  great result....but a bit of work to get it all set up.

h

I would suggest that strip ripping can be easily accomplished with a properly set up bandsaw. This video has opened my eyes and I can now do rips straight and true with my bandsaw.    https://youtu.be/wGbZqWac0jU

You can make a jig to keep the stock against the bandsaw's fence:

Quick and Easy Band Saw Fence Downloadable Plan

or the commercial guide:

Magswitch Workholding Resaw Guide Tool Attachment

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.