Sail Kit Drama

Posted by Terry Mcadams on Jun 23, 2004

We decided to make our own sail from a kit for the new Mill Creek we're bringing up. BAD IDEA!!!!!!

Sailrite, the kit manufacturer, insisted it could be made on a home portable machine. WRONG! It broke the machine, to the tune of a $90 repair.

After the machine was fixed, it broke again - it simply did not have enough power to stitch the multiple layers. AFter another trip to the reapir shop for ideas, and with, literally, cranking the machine by hand to do the thicker parts of the sail, we got it done last night (except for the grommets, which I'll install up in Canada). Also, the machine would not wind the bobbins using the thick, coated thread that came with the kit. It also broke several bobbins, so they had to be wound by hand.

So we saved a grand total of $10 by making it ourselves, but it was still a satisfying feat, but one we'll not repeat(no poetry intended). Jen was a trooper and hung in there for me to get it done. Gotta love that girl, and take her out for mussels when we get to Nova Scotia.

So, if you're thinking of a sail kit and only have a light portable machine, maybe buy the completed sail instead.

I'll be paddling up north and off the Forum until late July. I'll miss you folks. Y'all have a very happy and extremely safe summer of kayaking and building.

And if you're near Halifax this summer, bive us a call for a paddle. We're in the local phone book.

terry mcadams

Replies: