timing glass/epoxy

I have less than 1/2 dozen strips to fit and glue - I'm getting there! It is a 9 1/2 foot canoe

So I just order the glass and resin. I have done a fiberglass kayak years ago and recently helped start some engineers in the company I worked for to create fiberglass molds - so I have some experience with the general stuff.  Since I have not used this product and I'm planning it to be a one man project I was wondering what is the work time for the epoxy? Can you modify the work time by putting less additives in it?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: timing glass/epoxy

No, this is a 2-part epoxy resin not a catalysed resin. Putting less hardener into it won't slow it down; it will keep it from fully hardening ever.

What you need is to use the slow hardener and to work in a 60°F workspace with the resin and hardener at about the same temperature (maybe a couple of degrees warmer to make sure that the reaction starts).

Also, mix smallish batches (3 - 4 ounces) and pour it into a large flat container as soon as it's mixed so that it will have maximum area to radiate its heat.

That's what it takes to slow down the reaction times to give you more working times.

Laszlo

what about them wood flour and  cell-o-fill thickener? Would changing those any effect the timing and workability?

It wouldn't really change the timing. The workability may change in that thickened epoxy flows more slowly than unthickened, but the temperature dominates everything in terms of working and curing time.

Slow hardener will give you at least 1/2 an hour of working time as long as you're not in the tropics or it's not high summer where you are. Usually you can count on an hour or even more in spring and fall temps.

Start with a small job and small amounts of epoxy - 3 to 4 ounces - and work your way up as you get experience.

Laszlo

I recieved the glas and resin today and I figured it is time to check out the tip articles. I found that all my questions were answered in these articles and still Laszlo   was kind enough to answer then afresh! Thank you.

I have since used the epoxy to create puddy for fillet material. I realized this was an excellent way to get a feel for the resin in terms of work time and workability.  Also the scrap stripping material make nice fillet tools and mixing sticks; no need to buy something.

The next warm day I should be putting on the outter glass!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.