Hybrid Wood Duck - Fiberglass cloth deck

First time builder here - Looking to avoid a mistake BEFORE I make (another) one, I'm looking for clarification on how the deck fiberglass lays out...The photos/videos show about 2" of material draped over the edge of the deck. Is this 2" strip epoxied to the hull or left not epoxied and cut off flush (like the cockpit area) after the deck has been epoxied? I appreciate the assistance.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Hybrid Wood Duck - Fiberglass cloth deck

The 2" overhang is glassed to the sides of the hull.  Make sure that you roughen up (sand) that area of the hull so that the glass forms a strong bond.  When you wet out the edge of cut glass you will get some loose threads and the edge will end up faily uneven.  You can get a much better (less visible) edge by first laying a line of tape on the hull two inches below the shear.  Next, cut the glass cloth so that the edge is below the top of the tape.  Then, when you wet the glass out, wet it down onto the tape. Once the epoxy has cured but it is still green (not sticky but you can still dent it with your thumbnail), carefully cut the glass along the tope of the tape.  You can then pull the tape off and the result is a nice straight clean line that is easy to sand/fill/sand flush.

What he said.

So appreciate the clarification AND the great tape tip!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.