NE Dory vs Jimmy Skiff II... 1st build doable outdoors?

Hi Folks,

Looking to build first boat with my boys (NED vs JSII).  Wanted to do the class but they said they were too young (11 & 9).  So, I'm thinking about building it in my back yard. I have no options for an indoor build.  CLC recommended I build indoors due to high heat (epoxy hardening too quickly) and humidity (blushing/fogging) but they did say it had been done before.   If I did it under one of those portable car ports to get it out of the sun and did epoxy during the latter/cooler part of the day/evening, would that mitigate the hardening issue (I live in Annapolis, MD)? I'm more concerned with structural issues rather than cosmetic.  As for the blushing/fogging, what if I plan to paint most of the boat and only varnish certain pieces (seats, rail, mast).  I'm guessing the rail would be the hardest thing to varnish? Since, it's not easily removable, could I varnish it before assembling to the boat? 

Lastly, any thoughts of the NE Dory vs the Jimmy skiff II?  I was going to do the Dory since they had a class but since that fell through I guess my options opened up.  I'm leaning towards the NED because it's bigger and I have 3 kids (11, 9, 6) I'd like to fit in it.  I figure that's the easiest biggest first build I could do.  Any thoughts/ suggestions?

No replies have been added to this post.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.