Sealing coats for paint

Hi guys

Latest quandary for me is that the paint finish seems a little vulnerable. (It feels "Not as Hard" as I would expect.)

Is this just my perception - or should we use a sealant coat as we would in the automotive applications?

I am using Interlux Brightside Yellow - which apparently requires 5 coats instead of the normal 3 coats for darker colors. (I can attest to this as I am still showing shadows after 3 coats) 

Regards DuncanB

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sealing coats for paint

I have no knowledge or technical expertise with seal coats, but I have used Brightsides on on several boats.  Seemed to get good and hard after time passes, but what I think it needs in order to do that is 2 weeks out in some sunshine.

just wanted to confirm bubbleheads comments.   

in my experience, the brightside paints are pretty soft to start but after a month with some heat, are rock hard.   

i also have a yellow boat....and yeah....lots of coats compared to green, red or blue, where its easily three and done.  i may have had as many as six coats.  i just took my time and one thin coat after another and eventually it looked solid.

so to finish the thought, no seal coat is required....just let it bake for a while.

Duncan,

Confirming Bubblehead and Hspira's comments. After 2 weeks (indoors) the Brightsides on my Peeler Skiff was as hard as gelcoat. You just have to give the chemistry time to work. Drying is only part of the equation. 

Cheers,

Dick  

Thanks for the info

I have a few months before launch so the paint should be solid.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.