Peapod - Inwale spacers and oar lock risers

I am thinking ahead a bit to fitting the Inwale spacers.

In the manual there is a line drawing which seems to show longer spacers where I would expect the oar lock risers to go.  There is no other mention in the text and the photos of fitting the risers are inconclusive.

It seems to make sense not to have a void under the riser but the size of spacer and gaps will take a bit of extra working out.  What did other builders do?

Paul

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peapod - Inwale spacers and oar lock risers

I made the "spacers" under the 4 risers 8". Nice and solid and no worry about a void under the riser when I drill for the sockets. I clamped the long spacers per the manual locations first and then worked out the spacing of the short spacers around those 4 points. My short spacers are all 2". There was plenty of material in the kit.

Dean

Thanks Dean.  That is helpful. Short spacers at 2" and fit them in evenly between the ribs and the bases for the risers seems to be the way to go.

Paul

You're welcome. Also. My spacers are all glued. The manual says the marathon method is to use SS screws and goes to great length explain it in text and pictures.  However. The kit does not include the 70+ screws. CLC said I should use drywall screws and remove them. No mention of that in the manual. 

So. I took the long way and glued them each with a clamp. 

I'm currently installing the inwales.

Cheers

Dean

The method described in the manual looked too much of a marathon to me.  So like you I plan to take it step by step and glue spacers in first.  I happen to have a NE Dory build manual and that is the approach described for that kit.

I have only just finished the seat supports but thinking ahead because I don't have much space for the build.  Just at the moment I have enough clear floor space to assemble bead wale, inwales and outwales so I might do that bit sooner rather than later.

Paul

I used 2 solid spacer blocks under each riser, cut to extend about 1/8" past the ends of the oarlock risers. The flex at the butt joint allowed the inwales and sheer strake to make the curve so they fit flush to the sides of the blocks. 

If you plan to use a roundover bit and a handheld router on the inwale (esp the lower edge) consider rounding over before you install it. Reaching over is no fun at all. 

Dean

Good tip Dean.  Have just rounded the inwales before installing.  Much easier and I am hoping will make the inwales easier to bend into position.  I will also epoxy the gaps between spacers and inside face of inwales before they go on - again to make life easier.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.