RSS Sail for Northeaster Dory - Mast, Yard & Boom Sizes

Has anyone installed one of the larger 89 sq ft RSS Oz Sails on their NED and can tell me what the length and diameters you went with for your build for each of the Mast, Yard and Boom?

I'm going to go get the material to build each of these and wanted to make sure I purchased the correct length for each.

I'm hoping to build each to be used for the standard sail and also the larger sail. 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: RSS Sail for Northeaster Dory - Mast, Yard & Boom Sizes

Can someone please give me the dimensions/length of the mast for a lug rig NED from the mast step base to above the mast partner hole. I'm trying to figure out the total length to make the mast for a RSS sail so I can pick up the lumber for the build and I don't have the hull completed to be able to measure it. Thanks.

I think you might end up with a lot of weather helm if the sail is bigger and the boom sticks back further than clc's lug. That said, I think that sail needs 12 ft lumber for the boom and yard (just barely cant get away with 10 ft by a matter of inches) and 14 ft lumber for the mast. I would have sail in hand and stretched onto spars before final cuts. Not sure about diameters

Thank you, I was just going off this article and them using the RSS sail.

https://reallysimplesails.com/a-bigger-inexpensive-sail-for-john-lizardis-clc-northeaster-dory/

Maybe I'll wait to cut to final size until after I have the sail in hand and just build each a little longer. The website has general guidlines for each length/size, just not below the partner length, which is what I was hoping to get to be able to add it to their specs for lengths.

The below partner length is about 18". If you have a finished hull, you can lay a straight edge perpendicular to CL over your mast step and measure to the floor. I built my mast 14' tall and followed the standard taper guidelines from the lug rig manual, the only changes being the length and adding 1/4" to the mast diameter. I made my yard 1.5"sq with no taper. It feels like it may be too stiff. I may add a taper later. I made my boom 1.5"x2" square. Boom and yard lengths from the same RSS article. Micheal Storer's lug rigging guide, including his "halyard-around-the-mast" system worked well.

Yes I have - it worked fine.  Didn't have too much weather helm so far.  I'm a reasonably big guy so have no problem holding it down in a bit of breeze.  The two reef points it has are good too.

It looks like this: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nCiWJW2bB_yN12kJ4PHk0m_po5_OyRXY?usp=sharing

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.