Supply List for Kit Builders questions

I recently ordered a Northeaster Dory. I will be picking it up on 6 May. As I was digging around the site more I found the supply list for kit builders. Should I be sure to have all that stuff on hand before/when I get my kit?

The general supplies (brushes, rollers, etc) seem to be priced very reasonably. I have some of the recommended tools already. I don't particularly want to buy the manual just to see what all other supplies I need given that I will get a manual when I pick up my kit. 

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Supply List for Kit Builders questions

Dustin,

If this is your first build you'll probably be spending the first few days after you get the kit opening the boxes and inventorying, as well as reading the manual. After that you'll be joining the planks, which needs epoxy, thickener, weights and sheets of polyethylene to keep the planks from sticking to the floor, table, etc. They have to cure for at least a day after they're glued. Then, you'll move on to wiring the hull together.

To get you that far, all you'll need are epoxy mixing and application tools, a plane and/or rasp and/or razor knife (to remove the CNC nubs), some sandpaper, wire cutters and pliers (combination or needle nose). In addition you'll need personal protective equipment appropriate to the task at hand, such as gloves, respirators, eye protection, etc.

If you have all this on hand, that will let you work through until anything that you may discover reading the manual that you need to order arrives.

Have fun, you're getting set to start a great adventure.

Laszlo

Laszlo,

That is extremely helpful, thank you! This is my first build. I used to race Lasers and Bahia's (as well as much larger racer/cruisers) in college but haven't been out since then, sadly. This is my chance to get back on the water. 

I do have some of the tools (ppe, razor knife, and sand paper) but will pick up the other stuff needed. Thanks again for the help!

Dustin

I am about to start a Northeaster dory. Kit should be arriving the end of the week. I strongly suggest you purchase your rollers, brushes and foam brushes from CLC. After lots of reading the past few months and buying the maunal back in January (covid time, helped pass the hours) It is the vast consensus that the stuff you buy at the big box stores will not stand up. Epoxy is tough stuff and you don't want the brushes, rollers etc to fall apart as you are try to put on a clear coat. CLC sells the equipment at a good price. Buy the box, usually 12 or 24 you will need most them by the time you finish. Box prices are better. If not CLC go to a marine hardware.

I wish both of us a great build

Mark

i would ditto Mar's (mrosie) point above.

if you are not close to annapolis, its worth it, in my view, to pick up some known things you will need (like rollers, foam brushes) and club it into the trip.

clc could probably provide you some idea of a supplies list associated with the project.   i typically pick up foam rollers, brushes and paint for my projects at CLC.   as mark said, buy the boxes....you will always want some extra on hand for the inevitable touch ups and repairs.

h

Since you bought the kit, call CLC and ask if they will e-mail the list or read it to you over the phone.

They may do it, all they can say is no and you would be no worse off than now!!

I believe that the cost of the builders' manual, if purchased separately, is refundable on purchase of a kit.  If you've already paid for your kit, maybe they'd go ahead and send you the manual?  There's a PDF version available, too, which might be worth having, anyway.  We bought an extra paper copy of the manual for our PMD kit build, and pretty much wore them both out.  Just a couple of stray thoughts....

As Laszlo wisely reminds us, be sure to have fun!  These kits take a lot of the stress of the "unknown unknowns" out of building a boat like this, for those of us who are more boat-wrongs than boatwrights, so there is reason for optimism that the challenges you'll encounter will make the process a grand adventure, rather than a series of disasters, at the end of which you'll have a family treasure.  The trick is to take your time.

You'll do just fine.  If a ham-fisted boat-wrong like me can get this to work, pretty much anybody with patience and wits can do it!

.....Michael

Thanks to all. I bought just about everything on the list. Thankfully, CLC isn't a big drive for me if I run out of something random. 

I definitely need to remember to take my time. I tend to get sucked in and push forward at the maximum safe speed. But, I want to do this right without too many major screwups. Thankfully, I have at least some woodworking experience and plenty of tools. So, we'll see how it goes.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.