Tragedy! Blending scratch repair??

So my newly painted MC 13 blew off the milk crates onto my concrete driveway here in windy Delaware.☹️
So a three ft long section on the bilge to sheer joint all scratched up. I was able to fill the scratches and repaint the section but what's the best way to blend the newly painted section in with the older paint. The scratches are no longer visible just need to get the paint repair the same.

Or would it just be easier to just repaint the whole one side of the hull?

Tips, tricks, suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance, PP

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Tragedy! Blending scratch repair??

windy here too.....

that sounds so frustrating.   i have boats with colored hulls....and they get scratched....so i understand the problem.  here are the approaches i use:

quick repair/small tighly grouped scratches:  sand/fill the scratch, ensure a clean surface (per paint can instructions) and using a foam brush paint over the scratch and with a dry part of the foam brush, feather it into the remaining paint.  work when it is cool so the paint is not immediately setting up.... step back several paces and bright sunlight and it will disappear.   will be viewable upon close inspection....but that's typically not how somebody will look at it.

larger repair (long scratch or an injury to a single panel). sand, clean and repaint that individual panel.  use the break between panel (facets) to hide the repair.  for this kind of work i will use blue tape to protect, ensure i don't accidently start work on a panel that i don't want to work on.  if it is a side panel, may need to remove foot braces to properly paint behind the bolts....its hard to paint around....but you can do that too with some blue tape to mask it.

reconditioning:  this is basicially refurbishing the boat.   most of my colored hulls....will do this once every 6 to 8 years.  all the painted surfaces are sanded and cleaned and the hull is repainted.

sound like, for you i would choose one of the first two.

h

RE: Tragedy! Blending scratch repair??

"....newly painted MC 13 blew off the milk crates onto my concrete driveway here in windy Delaware.☹️
So a three ft long section on the bilge to sheer joint all scratched up. "

It isn't a Tradgety. It is an opportunity. You've had damage. You're gonna fix it. Now you are ready for rocky beaches, boat ramps, docks, etc. Get the grief over early is my normal recomendation. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.