bottom panel sticks out from joined side panels at stern

I'm building a Chesapeake 14' kayak and after gluing the bottom and side panels, the bottom panels stick out further by about 3/8" than the side panels at the transom (it looks OK at the bow of the boat).  Step 8 on page 77 says ".. if the bottom panels don't line up exactly with the side panels at the stern, don't worry about it; in a later step we will trim the panels flush with a pland, sander, or saw."  But I don't see that next step in the rest of the book.  Any ideas?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: bottom panel sticks out from joined side panels at stern

Hi Kiyack14,

First, congratulations on your Chesapeake 14.  Its a great boat.  I have had mine now approaching 20 year. 

Ours is yellow (see picture below) and it has been a staple of the fleet for my daughters and guests who are on the smaller side of the standard kayaker.  The Chesapeake 14 performs great, looks great and stays up with the bigger boats when we go out as a group.  it's also super light and easy to carry.

so onto your question.   while i can't give you a page reference, i would clean up/trim the excess you are describing after i have glued the littlle transom piece in. if i understand what you are decribing, when you position that little transom piece, the sides of the boat will extend slightly beyond that as the transom piece, to be positioned without having a hole in the hull, will need to be about 3/8 inch inside of the sides of the hull (becuase the sides are 3/8 inch longer than the bottom as i understand it).

once the transom piece is in, you just saw/sand/or use a block plane to cut off the extra material on the sides and round it over to close up the rear end of the hull/transom so that you can then glass the hull.

i hope that helps.  again, this is a very cool and great performing boat.

h

RE: bottom panel sticks out from joined side panels at stern

just to be clear, you can clean it up anytime after you have glued the little transom piece in.  and by transom piece,  it is that small, tall triangulular piece of plywood meant to close up the back of the boat (when its installed it looks like an upside down triangle). 

the chesapeake 14 is kind of unique compared to a lot of designs in having a very small transom vs the sides of the boat just coming together the way the bow does.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.