Broken Jigsaw Puzzle Piece on Deck - Chesapeake 18

Back home from being away for the holidays and my kit arrived while I was gone.  I unpackaged it and noticed that one of the jigsaw puzzle pieces was broken off the deck.  I have searched everywhere and I can not find the broken piece   The box was a little damaged so I assume it has fallen out.  That appears to be the only damage.  Will there be enough waste from the edge of the deck that needs to be trimmed away to cut a piece to replace it?  I am going to varnish to the deck so I doubt I will be able to cover this up.

Chesapeake 18.   

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Broken Jigsaw Puzzle Piece on Deck - Chesapeake 18

i would take a picture of the damaged piece and post it here and also discuss with CLC.  depending on which piece it is, it may be easier to get a replacement piece.

there are two places in a chesapeake where there is some extra material...one as you point out is the edge of the deck.   the second is extra deck material inside the coaming.  either may be enough extra to replace a bit of puzzle.....but it would likely be tight and it wont likely match.  clc can also send you a small piece of 4mm ply to cut one from if a replacement part can't be arranged.

but a picture is worth a thousand words....

h

If the shipping box was damaged enough to allow the piece to break off and fall out, that sounds like a shipping company, not CLC, issue. Definitely take pictures, especially of the outer box and the broken wood, and get with the shipper to begin filing a claim. Point out that you were unavailable to perform an incoming damage inspection, hence the elapsed time between receipt and filing of the claim.

CLC will probably have to send you a new deck piece, but it sounds as if the expense should be borne by the shipper, not you or CLC.

Laszlo

Hi TimeOutdoors, I had a very similar issue when my kit arrived - Shearwater Sport.  The main large box had a tire track that looked like the tread of a forklift on it.  About 5 pieces were damaged inside, including multiple puzzle piece ends.

I contacted CLC... they requested some photos of both the damaged box and damaged pieces, which I sent.  They offered two options - a discount (partial refund) and I could repair the pieces, or send me new parts, no charge.  I wanted to try a varnish finish and choose the new parts option.  CLC shipped me new parts.  It took some time to orgainze, but they were great to deal with.

I recommend you contact CLC.

I'm a first time builder -- and am happy I choose that option as all the blemishes in my boat are of my own hand -- not some wahoo on their first day on a forklift.

All the best with your build.

Dave.

Thank you for the responses. I contacted CLC about getting a small piece I can use to patch the damaged area.  I live in a pretty remote area so having a new deck sent out would be asking for too much.  Thank you for the replies everyone.  

Remote... yeah, I recall reading your first post here back late in October. You'd posted you're in Alaska, and prefaced that with remote as well. I have to drive an hour to buy bagels; I'd bet you have to paddle / hike / mush an hour just to get to a road maybe?

Good that you have some kimda internet connection, and that your kit found you despite the trauma it suffered in the journey. My Waterlust kit came off a truck three years ago with but one broken puzzle joint tab on one of the deck's panels.

I'd never expected to finish 'bright' (this being my first build) so I just smooshed some epoxy onto the broken-off tab's edge, pushed it back in place as I was doin' that joint. Had that bit been missing I'd have been challenged some, yes.

"I'd bet you have to paddle / hike / mush an hour just to get to a road maybe?"

It's about a 150 mile flight for me to get to the nearest road ($400 round trip).  We are fortunate that we do have a post office and get deliveries up to 3 times a week (might be once a week this time of the year because of the ice fog).  I plan on painting the hull and varnishing the deck so this was a bit of a buzz kill, but it will work out.  Truth is I am not convinced the kayak will make it through the first year with bear activity.  The lake has alot of rock beaches so I have to be careful leaving my boat on the shore if I go hiking along the lake.   My goal with the kayak is to be able to use it to access these spots and pull it ashore for multiday hiking trips.   

Thanks again for the help.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.