Chesapeake rescue

I found a 17 Chesapeake online last week and purchased it from it's second owner who stored it outside uncovered, apparently.  It appears the original owner/builder was impatient. So I've a couple of questions and a requestIve a little expererince as I finished my Shearwater 16 this summer.

Was/is the deck and hatches of the Chesapeake glassed prior to varnish?

There's been a considerable amount of fading as the deck wood has nowhere near the rich tone of wood of my Shearwater, Is a mahogany stain an option or was the chesapeake wood much lighter?

Does anyone have a set of plans or construction manual they would be willing to scan or willing to send to me and I can scan and return?

I'm sure I'll have more but for now ...

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake rescue

>>Was/is the deck and hatches of the Chesapeake glassed prior to varnish?

Depends on how old it is. Originally the instructions were to leave it unglassed and just epoxy and varnish/paint it. Over the years, CLC changed that to where the decks and hatches are supposed to be glassed now. Finally, since it's a homebuilt boat, regardless of what CLC says, it's at the builder's option.

>>...is a mahogany stain an option...

Not if the boat was epoxied. The epoxy soaks in, closes the pores and prevents stain from being absorbed. Sounds like this may be one for a paint job. And there's nothing wrong with that. A good paint job can result in a truly beautiful boat and let you express your creativity better than simply varnishing it.

>>Does anyone have a set of plans or construction manual they would be willing to scan or willing to send to me and I can scan and return?

I believe that's a violation of the purchaser's license agreement with CLC. Your best bet is to contact CLC directly, explain what you need and why and see what kind of price they can give you. Or, you can also simply order the electronic versions of the plans and/or manual for a very reasonable price.

Good luck with your project,

Laszlo

ditto everything laszlo said.

if you snap some pictures of your new boat and post the links, a lot of us who have built chesapeake's will be happy to help.

i have 'rescued' older kayaks before and it can range from fun to frustrating.  regardless, it will hopefully be iteresting and a learning experience.

while we can't copy plans, there are plenty of line drawings as well as videos that clearly can give you a sense of how a chesapeake is put together.

line drawings for the Chesapeake are at the following URL (just scroll to the bottom of the page): https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/stitch-and-glue-kayaks/chesapeake-kayaks/chesapeake-17-lt-sea-kayak-kit.html

video's of building a chesapeake are at:  https://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/building-stitch-and-glue-kayak/

hope that helps

h

Thanks for the help!

I was able to take some 80 - 120 to the aft hatch down to bare wood, no epoxy just varnish. I havent attacked the deck yet. The hull is painted already so I'm pretty sure it will be when I'm finished - right now the deck is a crap shoot.

Thanks again.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.