Second thoughts on SW Dory motor well

I went the full nine yards with my SW Dory kit - rowing, sailing and motor well options. My thought was I could row for exercise, sail for fun, and motor when fishing or in the spring and fall when my 1967 Penn Yan runabout is on the hard. But after doing a dry fit of the centerboard trunk and the motor well with Susuki 2.5 hp there is not a lot of real estate left in the cockpit. The only place to sit is between the centerboard trunk and motor with your knees squeezed together. When sailing especially you need to be able to move around - sometimes quickly - when tacking, to adjust boat trim, or whatever, and that would be difficult. Possible, but certainly not comfortable. With the motor tilted forward I'm not sure there is even enough room to fully extend your arms forward when rowing. So I am going to think about it for awhile, but it is likely I will set the motor well assembly and unused Susuki aside and glass the piece I cut out of the bottom back in. If I really miss the motor I can always reinstall the well.

No replies have been added to this post.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.