Stitching together the deck WD 12

Ok, everything is moving along on my Wood Duck 12 build. I am at the stage of Stitching the 2 half’s of the deck. There is about a 1 1/2”to 2” gap at the horns. I don’t think forcing them to bend will work. What do the experience builders suggestions? The plans say they go together nicely but I don’t see how unless there is suppose to create a bend.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Stitching together the deck WD 12

Wolfe,

There's nor supposed to be a bend, there's supposed to be at least 3 bends. Here's how mine looked when I stitched it together:

And here's another view so you can see the bends.

So you have a port/starboard convex arch as the forward deck wraps around the aft deck. You also have the fore/aft downward curve to follow the curve of the cockpit opening, as well as the concave curve in front of the cockpit as the forward deck curves down to meet the hull.

It's a very complicated set of curves. They give the boat its beauty and strength without internal frames. Those curves and the faceted sides are what I think make the standard WD look so much better than the hybrid (sorry strippers), but they can be a bit of work.

For me, the key was to get the formers placed correctly and to start by wiring loodely, then tightening and adjusting positions. You also have to work with the wood and do what it takes to make the bends fair and symmetrical instead of getting all the stitches in tight. Each piece of wood bends differently, so each may need a different stitching pattern. On my build I actually left a couple out to get the bends fair.

Here's a link to my deck-stitching page, in case it would help you.

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo,

got home and started playing with it and got it working. I’ve got the deck together and added the forms and i’m going to add the sheer panels after supper.

i have a feeling I will be looking at your step by step guide throughout the build.

Neil 

Glad to be of help. You'll really enjoy the boat when you're done. Post some pics.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.