Sectional Shearwater Sport with sailing rig

What benefits would I get from building the sectional shearwater sport with the sailing rig kit on hand?

I'm about to start my second Kaholo.  The first one was for the wife, the second is the daughter's.  The shearwater will be mine, and I need the sectional so that they all fit on the truck.  Long term, I want to build the Pocketship (I think it's an addiction developing).  But I need to lean to sail then right? hence the sail rig.  It seems that there might be some efficiency or advantages to incorporating some of the sail rig pieces as I build the shearwater sport sectional.  TIA.  

Alex (under his wife's account)

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sectional Shearwater Sport with sailing rig

Hello Alex/Ann

I have not built the Sailing Rig but I own the plans and will eventually do so.  I believe that the Shearwater Sport would make an excellent choice of kayak for the sailing rig.  If you read this article, (https://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boats-blog/kayak-sail-fun-evolution-of-a-kayak-sailing-rig.html), so does John.

I would suggest that you talk to John regarding use of the Sectional SWS.  The sailrig will certainly put more loads on the hull and you need to make sure that it's structure will withstand those loads.  Keep in mind that the amas and akas 10' long and the mast is longer.  If you will be transporting items that lond do you really need the sectional kayak?

Other than what John may tell you regarding the sectional structure, the only other structural mod might be to make the stern end pour a little bigger so you have a solid structure to mount the rudder to.

My last point is that as fun as this rig would be to sail, I STRONGLY suggest that it would be the wrong boat to learn to sail on.  Multi-hulls tack rather poorly which can be frustating for a beginner sailor.  Also, they are so stable that you never really have to learn how to trim the sail and/or use you boby weight for ballast.  If you want to learn to sail, do yourself a huge favor and start by taking some lessons.  Then go find a cheap used dingy such as a Sunfish, Laser, Force 5 etc.  Generally you can find a good learner boat on Craigslist for about 1/2 of what you will spend on a Sailrig kit.

Mark, thanks for the thoughtful response.  I can see what you mean about the stability of the multihull.  As for the transportation issue, it would be either two SUPs and the secional kayak, or the sectional kayak with the sail rig... so about the same for the pickup truck with a ladder rack.  Know any good places for sailing classes on the south puget sound?  or does anyone else reading this have a recomendation?

You in or near Tacoma? Or closer to Seattle?

I simply Googled 'south puget sound sailing lessons', got a bunch of hits offering lessons.

With all the on-the-water activity in that area you ought to have a multitude of options to choose from!

Ahh yes, google it is.  That would probably make Ann very happy for me/us to take a class.  Before I thought I wanted the shearwater sport sectional, I was all about the sectional eastport pram... So maybe go back to it.  I guess that would be more practical as a learning boat both for boatbuilding experience, and some sailing.  

I've got at least a month to finish up the SUP before the next kit.  geez, this is addicting.

We took the Basic Keelboat sailing course from ASA the past two days, and I'm so glad we did.  We're about to join the sailing club too.  It's a very reasonable membership fee to get to use their boats and get some practice in, without the cost of production sailboatboat ownership.  

Interestingly, listening to our classmates who already own production sailboats (and their challenges and issues) confirms our interest in Pocketship.  Further google searches confirm that it fills a niche (trailerable, easy setup, ballast--not a dinghy, etc.) that I haven't seen filled by other boat designs (yet?).  I see why John bothered to take the time to put this design in production.  So I'me off to pocketship.net. :-)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.