Northeaster Dory launched in Pennsylvania (Lake Nockamixon)

After six years of leisurely work I finally launched my dory, Tropaia.

Very happy with it. Enjoy sailing it even more than building it.  All that sanding  was forgotten the moment the wind caught the sail and I saw the slick wake behind me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBN76Cynk4f/?igshid=11ifrqo1rypno

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory launched in Pennsylvania (Lake Nockamixon)

Congrats.  Cool paint job.  I like the aqua color and painted spar tips.

I had to look up the name, so saving some others the time:

A tropaion (Greek: τρόπαιον, Latin: tropaeum), whence English "trophy" is derived, is an ancient Greek and later Roman monument set up to commemorate a victory over one's foes.  

But as the definition goes on I note that the description of how to set up a Tropaia monument gets a little gory, so we'll leave it at that...and remind others to stear clear of you out on the water!

Just FYI, I went to the same area of the world for my Dory name: Brizo

Brizo /ˈbraɪzoʊ/ (Greek: Βριζώ; derived from Ancient Greek word βρίζω meaning "to slumber") is an ancient Greek goddess who was known as the protector of mariners, sailors, and fishermen. She was worshipped primarily by the women of Delos, who set out food offerings in small boats.

RE: Northeaster Dory launched in Pennsylvania (Lake Nockamixon)

Yeah Bubblehead, the gory part wasn't my intent but I discovered that after I had named the boat. 

I was thinking of personal victories over finger joints which got broken in shipping (why the hull is painted), over epoxy that wouldn't cure because I mixed improperly when I coated the interior between thwart one and two (about as gory as things got), some pesky wire holes I somehow only discovered when I was doing finish sanding, and cutting the hole in the mast partner too big the first go round so that I ended up re-doing the whole partner, etc. Mainly, it was named to reflects minor victories over screw-ups.

Hope my boat's name doesn't scare too many folks off. But I bet there are one or two out there who have similar boat-building "war stories." ; )

Love the name Brizo. Great name and both a bit more welcoming and comforting out on the water. .

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.