Dealing with sticky resin/epoxy - on whole boat!!!

New resuce 17' kayak. No wonder the guy gave up on it 20 years ago!

The resin coat on teh boat is sticky.  Not super sticky but also NOT sandable at all.  My goal is to take the deck down to the wood. (deck not glassed) and then sand the hull which was poorly glassed.  BUT, the sticky poorly applied resin won't allow for this. 

Thoughts Ideas?  Really crazy how difficult it is to deal with this!  

I've googled the problem which seems to be common, the best advice I can find is, 'remove the sticky coating.'  

Before I sink any $$ into this thing I'll need to figure out if this coat of epoxy can be taken down!

Thanks in advance.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dealing with sticky resin/epoxy - on whole boat!!!

Two points I'd like to know first off:

How thick is the uncured resin you're dealing with?

Do you know for sure whether it's epoxy or perhaps polyester resin?

Whichever it is, I think the practical approach - labor intensive, yes - would be to mechanically scrape as much of it off as you possibly can.

From every surface you can possibly get a scraper onto.

Once that's done you need to address whether what remains behind will inhibit the bond between the wood and your choice of properly-mixed epoxy.

You may find some kind of solvent wash in order if you need to remove more crud than a scraper can.

Putting good over not-so-good, then finding out later you should have done a better prep, would be a sad thing.

���https://www.clcboats.com/forum/5/thread/24060.html This thread may help. Just sounds like a bad mix. Scraping and scrubbing is the best way to go.

Thank you all - all I know is the boat was built in 1999 and I'm unsure what the person used for epoxy.

So I grew inpatient and wanted to make progress so I heatgunned and scrapped the entire deck. Didn't take that long. 1 full day to heat/scrape/then 80 grit sand with orbital the whole deck.  its now down to bare wood.

next up... the cockpit, best I can!

Encouraging progress then! Thanks for the update.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.