no spacer coaming

thinking on making a rounded  over lip around the cockpit 1/2h by 1 1/2w instead of the normal  coaming with a riser.  seeing that it will never have a spray skirt and lake water only

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: no spacer coaming

A couple of thoughts:

1.  You did not say what design you are building, but to say that you will "never" use a skirt may limit its use in the future.  Most of my paddling is inland Florida, so I very rarely use a skirt but sometimes find it necessary.  Of course, a skirt is a must paddling coastal waves.

2.  Even if you never use a skirt, you will probably need to use a cockpit cover when transprting the boat on rainy days.  

3.  The coaming/lip provides structure adds considerable strength to the deck around the cockpit.  This area is often heavily loaded when we get into and out of the boat.

4.   I find the coaming lip to be my prefered hand hold when lifting/carrying the boat.

On my race boats, I make a smallish lip (1 1/4") out of 3mm Sapelle, with two layers for spacers.  It is large enough to hold a skirt/cockpit cover and to get my fingers under to lift the boat.  Sapelle is a little heavier than Okoume but IMHO it looks much better.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.