Matt varnish or Matt+Gloss which might look better?

I am almost done with my NE Dory.. in the pics I have the first layer of inner paint applied (Tape still there). I plan to add two more coats of paint then move to the varnish.

I had originally planed do do paint for the first two planks, Matt Varnish the rest of the planks and high gloss varnish on the gunwhales and seats. Now I am thinking that maybe all matt varnish might look better. In the pictures youc an see the red wood used on the gunwhales really looks nice, and this is just the wood covered in resin and sanded with 150grit paper.

What are your opininos on to do the brightwork in gloss or not?

I will attempt to add pictures to this post as soon as I figure out how.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Matt varnish or Matt+Gloss which might look better?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/eTIDR6x"><a href="//imgur.com/eTIDR6x">Dory</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>https://imgur.com/a/eTIDR6x

Well it turns out that it is a lot easier to embed pictures than I thought.. below are the pics.

I use matt varnish anywhere prone to scratches, like the bottom where you’ll be stepping, and gloss everywhere else. Since you’ve already painted the bottom I’d probably just use gloss. The gloss will have uv inhibitors in it but the matt may not depending on the manufacturer. If it doesn’t have them you’ll have to put down a few coats of gloss first anyway. Once that’s done, if you like it you’re done. If not cover it with a couple of matt coats. 

George K

So the decision was removed from me.
I went to West Marine and purchased the ONLY Satin Finish varnish with UV protection they had. A company called Sea Gold made it. I opnened it and stirred it as much as I could.. the can must have been SUPER old as it was really hard to open and stiring showed there was a thick gum on the bottom. I tried to stur that into the can but it would not mix. The stuff was kind of a  milk shake consistency and a milky honey color.. not at all what I was expecting.

I put a little on and it started to create this kind of flaky,chalky stuff. I stopped, waited for it to dry and sanded it off.

I am now using what I have on hand.. the Interlux gloss. It has gone on very well and it drying as we speak... The Sea Gold stuff was a wast of $60. Reading on line and I am not the only one with this issue, with this product.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.