405 Filleting blend

�Hi I see that West have a filleting blend (405) Would that be suitable for kayak fillets? Dinghy fillets too, for that matter? For some reason my brain tells me it might be too light weight i.e not strong enough? Regards dave

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 405 Filleting blend

dave,

this will work just fine.   i have this and a couple other fillers that i keep around the shop to help with color match and have similar properties to wood flour or cell-o-fill or bring new properties to the table.

west systems is pretty good at describing the nature of their fillers and where they are appropriate to use ( i would just go to their website if you have not been there).  the ones you want to be careful about accidently using as a structural component would be their 'fairing fillers'...which are meant more for smoothing out surfaces efficiently.   but for filleting, this is just fine.

my only other comment on filleting, is in addition to the material, if a fillet is spec'd to be glassed on both sides, that is where a lot of additional strength comes from.  not all fillets are spec'd that way....but if they are, don't forget that step.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.