WD12 Hull Too Wide

I have a problem that is the opposite of what some builders have described.  I am placing the forms in preparation for stripping the deck, and in the center three forms the hull is between 1/2 and 7/8 inches too wide. I have built the forms out to make up the difference, figuing that the wider span at that point would be fine, but befor I move forward I thought I'd better ask the experts.  I could pull the sides in, but I'm nervous about setting up a future difficulty when I go to attach the deck to the hull - or worse yet, having an ongoing problem of the hull wanting to pull away from the deck.  What do you all think?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD12 Hull Too Wide

The question you should ask your self is why is it doing this? Is it natural spring that the deck will fix? (likely) or did I put something in wrong?   Are you buliding ffrom a kit or plans?   

Do a measurement check and make sure the bottom of the hull is correct.

Matching the "too wide" may put too much flare on the sides and cause other problems.

either way .............3/8 on each side isn't much

I wasn't as clear as I should have been: The widths stated are on each side, so abou 3/4 or 7/8 max, too wide on each side.  I am making this from a kit.

thanks for noting you are making this from a kit.  so i am assuming this is a stitch and glue bottom with a cedar strip deck.

so the first question is....is your bottom already glued up?  if your bottom is not glued up, i would temporarily stitch it to the right dimensions and confirm it is fair...and glue it up so it is in the right dimensions.   often time, a stitch and glue will flare out wider than it is suposed to be becuase of how the hull is temporarily supported (e.g., on a sawhorse) so the weight of the hull just flares out the boat..

if the bottom is already glued up, you can also have the same effect as described above....so if it come easily to the right dimensions (the boat is fare/no odd curves), i would temporarily hold it in the right dimensions with a temporary stitch or two....so you can build the proper deck.

if the bottom is already glued up and won't come to its dimensions..... you may also find that it will come much closer to its dimensions when pulled together and stay fare...so that the amount off is significantly reduced from what you are currently measuring.   if that does not help, you can proceed with the approach you are taking and you will probably be fine.  if it really bothers you, you can (and i have) sawn apart seams that i did not set up properly....and do it again. 

h

Thanks.  All of this is awesome advice. I will pull it in as close as I can get and still stay fare.  I feel like that will work. I appreciate your help.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.