What to expect from MASCF?

With my newly completed and commissioned PMD I've been planning to attend MASCF this year in St Michaels with my family and I was wondering if any of you would care to set expectations for the event as I've never attended before.

I like the idea of bringing my boat, but I'm not really sure what I'm signing up for by registering and displaying it.  What are the logistics involved? Any good tips?!?  

Thank you!

Tony

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: What to expect from MASCF?

The MASCF is a great festival, lots of good people and great boats. There will be an area to set up boats for display and judging and you can easily launch your PMD from the ramp. The dock space will be crowded, sometimes hard to find a place to tie off. If possible get there Friday to get your boat set up on display, Saturday gets pretty full. There's a circular driveway at the drop off point so you don't have to carry the boat too far if you don't have a dolly. Be prepared to talk to a lot of people about your boat. I haven't been able to attend for a few years but it was something I looked forward to the 10 years or so I did attend. Once you go you'll be hooked.

George K

RE: What to expect from MASCF?

George is the one who got me to go to my first MASCF and I've been to every one since, except for the one thath was cancelled by the hurricane.

There is an amazing amount of stuff there. As George says, lots of good people  (in fact, I actually met George for the first time at MASCF). Some of these folks really know boats. My wife and I were dropping off my boat one year and in spite of it being well after twilight had given way to night and the lights being off, a voice in the darkness called out, "Is that a Bolger Singlehanded Schooner?". It was.

When not exhibiting boat knowledge, they are polite, friendly and generous. When you walk by the camping area in the evening and stop to chat, you can almost count on being offered a snack or drink. During the day isn't much different. I was walking along the dock and suddenly there was a glass of champagne in my hand to toast the boat that was being launched right there.

Speaking of the docks, they have become worse than George remembers. It's first-come, first-served and any empty slot is free for the taking, even if it has lines, floats , etc. attempting to reserve it. People are downright piratical about it.

There are races - sail, paddle, rowing, and and a boat beauty contest with enough classes to satisfy everyone. If you sign up to be judged, you may win a ribbon or trophy. Ditto if you participate in a race.

There's an overnight camping trip to Wye Island on Thursday, Friday is informal dining (mostly bring your own) with acoustic music by some truly talented performers, and Saturday the big dinner with traditional MD food and the awarding of the prizes.

And of course, there's the CLC booth.

Lots of fun, can't reccomend it enough.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.