Eastport Pram Dinghy Repair

Hi

I have a quite a bit of rot in the bow of my dingy. Here's a picture

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/6sc0ph.jpg[/IMG]

I'm thinking about cutting out a neat more or less rectangle shape, slipping a larger piece of Okume through the hole and then sandwiching in another piece slightly smaller than the hole. All of the above would be glued in with epoxy and then varnished.

I'm not sure what to do about the degraded paint and wood on the planks near the rotted section.

All ideas are really appreciated.

Thanks 

Elliot

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Eastport Pram Dinghy Repair

It looks like you're trying to patch without having access from the top (i.e. not removing the forward buoyancy tank) with a drywall type fix.  I think this is is probably your best bet.  Fit a larger piece inside with the edges buttered and figure a way to pull it up against the hull (you may need to screw them temporarily and patch the holes later).  Then fit a patch piece in up against that, then fair it.  As you already know, whatever patch you fit in, take extra precaution that it's completely sealed and waterproof.  This will help against future water damage.  Good luck!  I have an EP that was destroyed by water intrusion and is now a yard ornament.

RE: Eastport Pram Dinghy Repair

Hi Cap

I think we're on the same page for the repair. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

Elliot

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.