"How much does it weigh?"

OK, it's been 2 weekends now since I've finished my first build. Some friends and acquaintances have seen my WD12 either on FB or in person.

Many of these folks wouldnt know a kayak from a battle ship, but the first question is 

"How much does it weigh?"

So my Q's are to you guys who've been doing this a while is;

Have you experienced this?

Why is that the first thing that comes to so many minds?

and What do they care, THEY don't have to pick it up?, Are they concerned for my back?

and BTW FWIW, the truth is I havent weighed it yet, but I know it is heavier than it could have been, because I varnished and Polyurethaned.  

But it is way lighter than my plastic 11.5' Pelican Sit on Top.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: "How much does it weigh?"

Your last line says it all. The commercial roto-molded jobs are so heavy that the manufacturers make a big deal about the fact that theirs weigh less than someone else's. So consumers are sort of trained to ask about weight. It's like horsepower for cars

I get exactly the same thing with my kayaks. They don't want to believe that a home-built "wooden" boat is lighter than a commercially made plastic one. Everyone "knows" that wood is heavy, especially plywood. Many times the only way to convince them is by letting them lift it.

I think it's because they're thinking 3/4" planks or construction grade fir plywood or maybe hollowed out logs.

They also don't want to believe that it's covered in fiberglass.

Welcome to the wooden boat effect. Also be ready for, "Did you build that yourself?", "Is it from a kit?", "You ought to go into business building those", "How fast is it?", "How long did it take to build?", "How much to build me one?" and so on.

Enjoy,

Laszlo

Thanks for that insight Laszlo

That's funny! I have heard all of those questions/comments as well.

yes I get that too.

I tell them the design weight and that it weighs a whole lot more with me inside.  Then I tell them it seems to weight a lot more after a paddle when I'm loading it on top of the truck than before the paddle. They then go off shaking  their heads with rumpled brow and confused smirk  for some reason.

I like that answer Grumpy,

Thanks

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.