Petrel Carbon/Kevlar

I noticed that Nick's book calls for carbon fiber/kevlar fabric on the interior of the hull, but the CLC kit and bill of materials for the Petrel do not call out the same.

Is the layup with just fiberglass good enough? Not sure what the intention is here.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Petrel Carbon/Kevlar

it can be done in regular glass and it will be just fine.

there are a lot of different 'recipes' for layups (skin material and thickness and core material and thickness).

a standard layup is 6 oz e-glass over 14 inch core and nick in his book describes the properties of these.....so what CLC sells in the kit is just fine and easy to work with.

it can be done in carbon....if you want to do that.   that said, carbon cloth is much more challenging to work with to get it right and keep the weight down....so i wouldn't recommend going there unless i had some good experience with the material and working with it.

i executed my Petrel with 3/16 core and 4 oz s-glass as an example becuase i was looking for a light boat....

h

one last note on the petrel.

below is the link for the boat i was talking about:

http://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/37124.html

it is 30 lbs fully rigged.

h

my note above should have said 1/4 inch core....the standard strip width that comes in a CLC kit.

anyway, while i am back in here....a couple more notes on the why carbon fibre cloth is not used by everyday builders.....

• it pretty expensive material by the yard....5 to 8 time more expensive than the comparable fibreglass cloth...so it can get expensive
  • the cloth is opaque so it can be difficult to establish that you have really wet out the cloth properly and bonded it to the core.   this is very easy to see with e-glass which becomes transparent when wet out...so easy to see missed spots and bubbles.
  • its hard to keep it light/low weight.  unless you have access to vacume bagging technology, it can be very heavy.  remember, the weight is a combination of of the cloth plus the epoxy you are using to bond it to the core.   so while carbon fibre cloth is light, it's quite difficult without vacume bagging to execute it with the least amount of epoxy....it is pretty straight-forward to apply fibreglass cloth with with the minimum epoxy required becuase it is easy to see where the excess epoxy is and you can continue to remove it as long as it is clear.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.