Teardrop camper questions - air conditioning

�I downloaded the study plans and have scoured the details. I live in Florida and air conditioning is required... (1) could the stern be extended after construction to create a shelf like area for an air conditioner? Of course, caution would have to be take not to interfere with the galley. (2) alternatively could a small unit be mounted on the front? (3) what about power? Where is the location for a shore power unit or is there enough room to modify the front box? Love this camper look and interested in moving forward. Thx John Port Orange, FL

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Teardrop camper questions - air conditioning

If you are mounting anything to the teardrop wood structure itself I'd want John to advise about the structural load and vibration issues you might experience bouncing down the road.   Here's a thought too about mounting on the trailer and using a cargo shelf on the front so you can mount the AC unit on the trailer in front of the teardrop and still have a storage box.

http://www.climaterightair.com/applications/rv-trailer-air-conditioning-and-heating.html

Thanks I had some of those concerns too....another option I contemplated after reviewing the study plans was mounting it on a second platform - in other words a 6-12 high "box" would be built on the trailer first (using lightweight/traditional teardrop building techniques) and then mounting the camper shell directly to that.  What it would provide is a significant amount of storage.  

Contemplating some ideas.  A/C is critical though and have to address that first.

thanks for the input.

J

I saw the rooftop load published somewhere on this site able to carry two CLC boats easily.  One boat and one AC unit should be about equivalent.

Additional stiffeners may need to be added fore/aft and athwartship to distribute the load.

My build and how I made a slide in AC THAT IS REMOVABLE......

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57906

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.