Storage

I'm currently making the Annapolis Wherry Tandem, I eas wondering if there would be structural issues if I converted the forward and rear tanks into storage?  

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Storage

Depends on what you stored in there. Running chainsaws and bulk neutronium are probably a bad idea. Normal boating stuff should be fine.

Have fun,

Laszlo

LOL, no nukes... But i'm in Lousian and will be rowing in the Bayou, so maybe a shotgun for the gators.

Thanks for the informtion.

Mark

>>...maybe a shotgun for the gators.

Is that related to our right to arm bears? :-)

Sorry, I'm whacked out on cold medications

Laszlo

Mark,

Make sure you don't seriously compromise floatation.  I'm not familiar with the details of the Annapolis Wherry Tandem, so I'm assuming you don't mean using what the design has as sealed foam-filled compartments because they're usually part of the Coast Guard certification.  If you do, you might want to email John Harris first.

Cheers,

Dick

Recreational boats are not US Coast Guard certified. In addition, the AWT is less than 20 feet long and is manually powered. Last I heard, that exempts it from everything except possibly a capacity label, which depends on the boat's size & girth. If it needs one, CLC will send it as part of the kit.

In the meantime, Dick is right about not compromising flotation, but remember that wood floats, so the entire hull structure is part of the flotation system. The boat would float even filled with water and no flotation tanks. They're just there to float it high enough to bail.

As long as the loaded storage area has a lower average density than water, the boat will float higher than without the tanks. I'd be more worried about the gators and water moccasins.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Load your stored things in dry bags with some air in the bag.  I am unfamiliar with the storage compartments, but I doubt they are long enough for a shot gun. A pistol is more than enough.   Generally if you leave the dog at home the gators will leave you alone.    

Mark,

I'm more concerned about personal safety that Coast Guard rules.  Foam-filled floatation chambers can save lives.  As a lifelong boater I know that what can go wrong ultimately will go wrong.  I use waterproof bags as storage on my Peeler Skiff.  The designed floatation chambers are intact.  My children and grandchildren are too important to me.

Regards

Gentlemen,   

Thank you for the input/advice. If I go with a storage compartment (probable just the back) i'll ensre not to over fill it.

The plans call for a sealed empty compartment, it is recommended to have a sealable 4 inch hole for drainage. I'll contact the coast guard to figure out what type of markings the boat need. hopefully none.

Mark

Supposedly empty, i.e. not foam filled, compartments require some means to equilibrate changes in air pressure due to barometric and temperature fluctutations or the can ruputure due to compressive or overexpansion forces.  These can be small tortuous capillary openings to the atmosphere, or ports, hatches or drain plugs. The problem with closures is remembering to open them.  I figure the only reason this has not been a problem on my Shearwater is that the hatches, while adequately water tight are not that perfectly air tight. Dry bags solve the problem because they are flexible. I considered installing a kayak style flush hatch for my wherry build (single person) but  decided the compartments are so small, they would be of little use.  If I use it for an outing I will secure a dry bag near the center of the boat to keep the weight out of the ends. 

A 12 gauge flare gun is a great deterrent to any animals of any species. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.