Battery Box Chocks

Hey folks,

I am thinking about putting a small trolling motor on the back of my Eastport Pram for leisurely cruises around Green Lake in the evenings with the family.  Don't worry, I'll still be sailing her solo on the weekends.  

I've been thinking about making some wooden chocks that capture at least two corners of a small battery box, close to the centerline, probably snugged up against the centerboard trunk under the center thwart.  They'd have nice, round edges, epoxied and filleted in place.

Has anyone done this?  Part of me thinks it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem so am hesitant to do it.  The other part of me sees a battery sliding around like a loose cannon in a tiny dinghy.  Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Battery Box Chocks

Will this be a sealed battery or one that acid could spill out of if turned over?

Also are we talking a 3-4 pound little battery or a big 40 pound deep cell marine battery?

Good question!  I was going to get one of those small 35Ah trolling motor AGM batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-Tarpon-Electric-Trolling-Battery/dp/B00DDZE33E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427941764&sr=8-5&keywords=35ah+wilderness+tarpon+100+kayak+trolling+motor

Hello Captain,

Another alternative might be to mount two webbing eyelets to the center thwart bulkhead to allow you to use a strap and buckle or even a stout bungee to lash the battery. I would recommend putting the battery in a plastic battery box and cutting a piece of heavy duty tool box drawer liner to put on the floor board of your Pram. This would protect the finish of your floor board and assist with keeping the battery from sliding around in wet conditions.

Hope that was descriptive enough.

JP

I hadn't thought about a neoprene mat.  Excellent!  Yes, the battery box was already in the equation.  I might be using padeyes/bungee to hold the daggerboard in the up position, so maybe another set for the battery.  Good idea!  Thanks...

Agree with JP about mounting the strap brackets on a vertical surface as opposed to  the floor...I was trying to think of a way to describe it and he did so there you go, also, the tool drawer liner will likely help reduce scratches from sand that may get under the battery box, and you dont need to epoxy any new parts to the floor. You may want to mock up where the brackets will go...closer to the ends of the battery box will make it easier to thread the strap

Curt

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.