Best way to paint the boat's name on the transom

Hi,   I'm building Pocketship and my friend has kindly offered to paint the boat's name in fancy lettering on the transom. I'm wondering how to best preserve and protect the lettering, taking into account that I will need to touch up the varnish on the wood periodically. I have already fiberlassed and sanded the area. Maybe she could paint directly onto the sanded epoxy, then I varnish over the paint. If I'm careful when touching up the varnish during maintenance I might not sand all the way through to the lettering. Or perhaps I should put a second layer of fiberglass over the lettering as a protective layer, then sand it down and varnish over the whole transom.    Do you guys have any suggestions or comments about the best way to do this?

Thanks!

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Best way to paint the boat's name on the transom

Craig,

Blaine Skilling at [email protected] did a wonderful job creating custom vinyl lettering for the transom of my Peeler Skiff.  It was easy to apply and is at least as durable as paint.  It was an excellent value and looks great too.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/vinyl-boat-lettering/

Cheers!

That's a good idea, thank you.  I will email him to see about getting a custom lettering for my boat.

I am not sure how large you want the lettering to be, but I always print whatever names I want on rice paper in my ink jet printer.  I then wet out the area I want to have the words with epoxy, lay on the rice paper, and lay fiberglass cloth over the top of it.  I squeeze out the inevitbale bubbles with a squeegie, and the words are there forever protected.  The only limitation is the words can't be larger that what your printer can produce in paper size.  To print I always scotch tape the rice paper to a normal piece of paper since the printer will wrinkle up the rice paper if sent through alone.  Click on the link to see some examples.  the nice think about doing it this way is you can have pictures, lettering in any font or size you want.   https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153824377685993&set=rpd.622800992&type=3&theater

CLC sells vinyl lettering for boats:  http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boat-building-supplies-epoxy-fiberglass-plywood/vinyl-boat-lettering/.

I used it for my Peeler Skiff About Time and 2 years later it looks brand new.

Cheers,

Dick

Nice boat, Dick.

I have used stencils and oil/acrylic paints over the glass and fill coats, just under the varnish. Works very well. If you mess up, sandpaper is your magic eraser. As you said, carefull sanding and recoat with varnish when the time comes. Good luck, JRC.

Lazlo,

Thanks!  From you it means something.  We have had a great time on it.  My 13 year old grandson painted the interior (I'm not very flexible anymore).  He and his older brother will be helping me build a midships steering station (not really a console) when things warm up a bit.  The three of us are thinking about building a Passagemaker Dingy as a summer project.

Cheers,

Dick

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.