Peeler Bow

My 10 year old son and I are building the Peeler and having a great time together. We have the first stage of the sides and transom stitched and epoxied in (have not taken the wires out yet). I have not epoxied the bow as I want to make sure I'm not missing a step. The two pieces of plywood come together at the bow and are stitched - my question is:  what will go at the very front of the bow where the sides meet to make it smooth and rounded when complete?  Will it be the fiberglass that wraps around it that covers the port and starboard sides that meet at the bow?  I couldn't find that step in the manual.

Thanks,  Jack

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Bow

After the hull panels are tacked the inside of the V formed by the two side panels is filleted with epoxy/wood flower and reinforced with glass tape. After the inside work is done and the hull is upside down that outside V formed by the two side panels will be filled by a peanut butter mix of epoxy/wood flower and sulpted to a curve to allow the glass fabric to wrap around it smoothly.

I'm not quite to the point of flipping my Peeler yet but I'm close. I found that when you do the taping it helps if you fold the tape lengthwise when you lay it in the seam. Also, if you paint some unthickened epoxy along the seam where the tape will lay it is much easier to wet the tape out.

Good luck, have fun.

Bob.

That should be . . . sculpted to a curve . . .

Damn virtual keyboard   

���

Thanks Bob, that makes perfect sense. Appreciate the tip about wetting out the tape too - my next step. 

Jack

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.