Coaming problems

I have glued the risers to the deck  When I clamp the coaming rim down on top of the risers the inside edges of the risers and the coaming do not match,  At the front and rear of the coaming the risers protrude into the cockpit opening by about 1/8 of an inch on each end.  On the inside of the cockpit, the coaming rim overhangs the risers by about 3/16 of an inch on both sides. 

What did I do wrong?  Woudl it be best to full the overhang with epoxy/ wood four, or cut it off and have the cockpit rim be narrower on either side than at the front and rear? 

Or alternatively cut the risers of the boat, scrap them and the wooden rim,  with and build a carbon fiber coaming instead,

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Coaming problems

The kayak I am building is a Chesapeake   

The Chesapeake kayak's cockpit coaming is laminated to a cambered deck.  You get some "stair-stepping" of the parts as you glue them on.  Pages 134-139 in the instruction manual illustrate how to deal with this.  You'll sand the "stair steps" off, and Bob's yer uncle:

Wooden Kayak Cockpit CoamingOf course, a carbon fiber coaming would look cool, too.

My manual  Version 2.0 dated 2/2002 (my kit was shipped over a decade ago) does not have the above diagram in it, nor does it say anything about the stair-stepping of the parts so  I just glued the risers right on top of one another leaving a small V-shaped gap at each end that I was planning to just fill with epoxy/wood flour before glueing the cockpit rim on.  I just assumed this was the correct way to install it.

I guess I am just going to cut the rim down so it is even with the risers and see how it looks.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.