Using Rust -Oleum Latex Outdoor Ultra Cover Inside My Wood Duck

Hey the title tells it all. I want to paint the inside of my WD 12 bright yellow and this is the best I can find. Any thoughts.

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Using Rust -Oleum Latex Outdoor Ultra Cover Inside My Wood Duck

I've used outdoor latex paint (Behr) over epoxy. It worked fine for me except where something rubbed against the paint. There, even after months of curing, the paint rubbed right off.

My best success has been with System 3 2-part polyurethane over their Yacht Primer. It comes in a bright yellow. Wish CLC would carry it.

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo---

This will my fiberglass that still has the weave showing. Ya think that will help it adhere to the surface?

Probably not. I would add more layers of epoxy to get a smooth coat or fill the glass weave. You can use pigments in the epoxy to add color. You still mght need some UV protection of varnish/polyurehane or compatible paint.

Some say latex will work if the epoxy is fully cured, painted with a coar or more of primer, sanded with 80 grit and then the final coat of paint.

See Testing house paint primers by wext Systems.

Why not just use bright yellow interlux Brightside.   My grandad painted his wooden row boat with latex house paint once because he had some left over from painting his house and was too cheap to buy some real boat paint. That was the absolute  biggest mess I ever saw.  The latex paint started flaking off of the boat in sheets halfway through the season. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.